Question On Boston's show

cage

(Several people on these boards, as I recall, argued at the time that, since Boston had no chance of moving up more than one place in Semis and Finals, they ought to continue to use the powder in those performances, but they didn't.)

Well, as it turned out, those people that said this were wrong in that assessment. BAC decided not to incur a penalty, and actually moved up in placement in Semi's from the Quarters, and at Finals ( their best performance of their season, imo ) were bested by Cavaliers at Finals by just a mere 1 tenth.. But this is all rear view mirror stuff too, of course.

Edited by BRASSO

It is unfortunate that Boston chose to go further with the references at finals. It wasn't necessary at all. That one drill formation spoke volumes. Many people understood the reference. There was no need to "up the ante."

I disagree. I wish they went farther with it to make the theme more complete rather than leave it so subtle. I think it's great that they decided to take shots at the whole ordeal, and honestly, the show is so much entertaining to watch when you think about what it's REALLY about. That was one bad ###, edgy show and I think they pulled it off pretty well.

• Like 2

The "G7" in BAC's show was most likely a jab at the G7 and not being part of TOC shows could have played a part, but it depends on who you ask, and most likely some of the people more closely associated with BAC will have some thoughts. When the G7 talks started, there was a possibility of a G8 and BAC was supposed to be included, at least according to one source I know who is involved with BAC, is not prone to gossip, and is usually (90% or so) accurate. People in the organization did not think the G8 model would have worked and did not like the direction G7 was headed, so BAC declined.

If I remember correctly, the G7 lineup was not supposed to change if a corps fell from the top 7, which is why BAC was excluded in 2013 even though they placed 7th, the original theory being that the top seven corps would change among themselves, but they would always be the same top seven corps. 2012 proved this to be false, and we almost saw the same thing happen in 2014. Remember Blue Knights edged out Phantom at prelims and semis.

To get back to your question, "Animal Farm" was supposed to be a show open to varying interpretations, and there was not supposed to be one correct interpretation with people thinking for themselves, so I suppose any interpretation of G7 in the show would be correct.

BAC performed in the TOC Nashville show.

It is unfortunate that Boston chose to go further with the references at finals. It wasn't necessary at all. That one drill formation spoke volumes. Many people understood the reference. There was no need to "up the ante."

According to multiple social media posts after the fact, they weren't going to use the dci flags until the guard judge from semis admitted to getting the scores wrong and not correcting them. Edited by chaos001

According to multiple social media posts after the fact, they weren't going to use the dci flags until the guard judge from semis admitted to getting the scores wrong and no correcting them.

I didn't know that. Thx

Makes sense when something stupid like that happens.

According to multiple social media posts after the fact, they weren't going to use the dci flags until the guard judge from semis admitted to getting the scores wrong and not correcting them.

Maybe the sheet of paper in their pocket with the scores was out of sequence. Hmmm.

• Like 2

Tim was referring to 2013, not this year. In 2013, Boston did not play in Nashville (Murfreesboro).

In 2010, Blue Stars finished eighth, so in 2011, they performed in the new Tour of Champions series. This was generally considered to be a compromise with the G7 corps: the tour consisted of more than just those seven corps, and its constituents apparently were based on the previous year's results.

In 2011, Boston Crusaders finished eighth, so in 2012, they performed in the Tour of Champions series. From DCI's press release announcing the 2012 season: "Taking the Blue Stars' place in the group after an 11th place finish in 2011 will be the eighth-place Boston Crusaders."

In 2012, Boston Crusaders finished seventh, so in 2013, they... didn't perform in the Tour of Champions series--but the eighth place corps from 2012, the Cavaliers, did perform in the 2013 series. Only the G7 performed in the 2013 ToC events.

However, it was claimed a few times on these forums in 2013 that Boston was asked to appear in that year's ToC shows but chose not to do so. If that's true, then their 2014 show is unlikely to be a response to being excluded in 2013, because they wouldn't have been, except by their own choice.

If it's not true, then I'd call that the inciting incident.

In 2013, Boston finished eighth, but in 2014, the Tour of Champions events sometimes included all of the previous year's top seven and sometimes did not, with a few other corps supplementing or replacing the seven.

• Like 1

However, it was claimed a few times on these forums in 2013 that Boston was asked to appear in that year's ToC shows but chose not to do so. If that's true, then their 2014 show is unlikely to be a response to being excluded in 2013, because they wouldn't have been, except by their own choice.

This is how it went down from what I recall.

As N.E. Brigand stated, I was not referring to this past year. I believe this past year most TOC shows included six of the seven, plus one other corps. I know in Charlotte, we saw BD, Crown, SCV, Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, and Spirit joined the group. I believe this was due to an agreement made with DCI that one non G7 corps would appear in a TOC show.

As N.E. Brigand stated, I was not referring to this past year. I believe this past year most TOC shows included six of the seven, plus one other corps. I know in Charlotte, we saw BD, Crown, SCV, Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, and Spirit joined the group. I believe this was due to an agreement made with DCI that one non G7 corps would appear in a TOC show.

Well, considering you didn't mention 2013 until the second paragraph and didn't say anything about '14, it was rather unclear.