Being redirected from forums to ad site.

I got a pop-up ad for the "Visit North Korea" tourism board. :ninja:

I'm getting this happening on USCHO.com boards now as well. I use Safari. Perhaps it's a bug infecting forums? Or perhaps browsers?

I'm wondering if it could be related to adverts delivered by Google Adsense. We use Adsense to deliver some banner ads on the site - as does the USCHO.com site. While that would be a significant breech of the Adsense model, it would certainly explain the randomness of its occurrence, our inability to find an issue in our systems, and the fact that its showing up on multiple sites.

Just a thought.

Might explain why IE has been locking for me this weekend at times on DCP. Also got a few "Possibly harmful websites have been found on this page" banners but never says which site might be the problem. Have tight settings on security software and only other site I have problems with is the local newspapers web page and that is horrible for ads.

A bit of research via Google and its pretty clear that this is the result of a malicious banner advert delivered by Google Adsense, with LOTS of sites impacted. No one has reported any 'malware' being delivered ... only a pop-up or redirection to another site.

It's very random. I was poking at the source code on the USCHO page that sent me off to an avert page with an URL five lines long and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. It did have the Google Adsense stuff going on though. I've only gotten the redirect variant of it, and only intermittently. Given than the same page load doesn't reproduce it, it's probably getting a different ad served to it that's not triggering it.

Edited by KVG_DC