Why did DCI stop coming to Wichita Falls?

Just curious why it stopped coming to the falls, it helped a lot of the local bands see how a drum corps rehearsed before band camp would start

Just curious why it stopped coming to the falls, it helped a lot of the local bands see how a drum corps rehearsed before band camp would start

Wichita Falls, TX?

Having spent 8 weeks there in USAF tech school and another month twice along my USAF career, I can tell you a hundred reasons not to return to Wichita Falls :-)

• Like 1

Wait, the Wichita Falls are in Texas?

That's one dang long river.

My Occam's razor answer is that DCI couldn't find anyone to host the show profitably.

But it might also be general consolidation of show regions. Are there any shows close that could soak up the fans from Wichita Falls show?

But it might also be general consolidation of show regions. Are there any shows close that could soak up the fans from Wichita Falls show?

Denton, TX and Mustang, OK are the two closest I can think of. Both are almost 2 hours away from Wichita Falls.

Of course, Wichita Falls, TX is not to be confused with Wichita, KS, which (apparently, now) used to host a show every summer during the week of the San Antonio regional.

Denton, TX and Mustang, OK are the two closest I can think of. Both are almost 2 hours away from Wichita Falls.

Of course, Wichita Falls, TX is not to be confused with Wichita, KS, which (apparently, now) used to host a show every summer during the week of the San Antonio regional.

Just a quick count shows that there are 103 or 104 shows planned on the tour; IIRC, that's exactly the same as last year. However, several shows have "TBD" locations and line-ups.

Sounds like there wasn't enough demand to support the shows costs. But that's just a guess.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/11/us/camel-attack-deaths/index.html

It's a safety issue...DCI does not want corps members getting trampled to death by camels.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/11/us/camel-attack-deaths/index.html

It's a safety issue...DCI does not want corps members getting trampled to death by camels.

• Like 1

I was stuck in Wichita Falls, TX there for 4 days on business. For entertainment (and I literally mean this was the ONLY entertainment), we went to watch the wednesday, thursday, and friday night football games all played in the same gigantic stadium. It was pretty neat to see the different bands come out at halftime since some of the cheer team, and the dance team, and the belt-buckle-do-pushups-after-a-touchdown team were all scattered in there as well (out of uniform). There was even one band that had a couple football players come and play with the band at halftime.

It would be a great drum corps stadium. Tons of parking and seating.

And lastly, one more reason to bring it back here: The Branding Iron BBQ. Cash only kind of place. No soup for you kind of place. Best BBQ on earth kind of place.