Fan Network - The New Platform

Yes, I love that it works great on my iPhone. Granted, I would improve many things, so some complaining about it is fine IMO, but it does work.

Writing a dedicated app is more challenging that most would think. The Onion's app is almost completely worthless and has been for years (iphone at least), and they pretty much live and die on the internet. Nothing but 1 star from virtually all reviewers and crashes immediately or just doesn't work at all, even over many updates. Really weird, actually.

Blue Devils, on the other hand, have a fantastic iPhone app (buy an iPhone just to get it, seriously), that does pretty much what FN does (different content obviously, but similar data structure of years and videos). But I don't think there's an Android version.

Edit: The last paragraph was really based on a thought that DCI could just buy BD's app and modify it. I didn't make that clear.

For mobile video/audio streaming done right,this is one of the finest examples: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/info

Works on computers, tablets, smartphones....recently updated to include Android devices too.....a great educational resource for students as well. The Berlin Phil has Deutsche Bank as a funding partner, which makes this possible; but anyone who loves classical music performed with fabulous production values should at least explore that web presence.

For mobile video/audio streaming done right,this is one of the finest examples: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/info

Works on computers, tablets, smartphones....recently updated to include Android devices too.....a great educational resource for students as well. The Berlin Phil has Deutsche Bank as a funding partner, which makes this possible; but anyone who loves classical music performed with fabulous production values should at least explore that web presence.

This is, like, incredible digital! I'm listening on my DSM-2. Their sample (to register) is music I know well. My, that is some very nice sampling.

Except it just paused. Twice. Three. Ummm... Well, I suppose the live feeds aren't subject to those kinds of delays in a LIVE performance. The longer I type it's playing the background and the more pauses to cache. If this is - there it goes again, off for about 20 seconds..

So, yeah, love the quality of the site. The sound is incredible in that highly-controlled environment.

It paused again, now 40 seconds.

But if this is the state of the art in streaming then DCI should keep what they've got.

Paused. Caching. 30 second pause

EDIT: Ok the sound quality is superior enough on this site to prompt me to close some stuff and maybe clear out my caches. If I can get it to play without caching it's a heck of subscription.

(BTW, thanks. LOVE the music.)

Edited by garfield

This is, like, incredible digital! I'm listening on my DSM-2. Their sample (to register) is music I know well. My, that is some very nice sampling.

Except it just paused. Twice. Three. Ummm... Well, I suppose the live feeds aren't subject to those kinds of delays in a LIVE performance. The longer I type it's playing the background and the more pauses to cache. If this is - there it goes again, off for about 20 seconds..

So, yeah, love the quality of the site. The sound is incredible in that highly-controlled environment.

It paused again, now 40 seconds.

But if this is the state of the art in streaming then DCI should keep what they've got.

Paused. Caching. 30 second pause

EDIT: Ok the sound quality is superior enough on this site to prompt me to close some stuff and maybe clear out my caches. If I can get it to play without caching it's a heck of subscription.

(BTW, thanks. LOVE the music.)

They have a link on their site where you can test your pipe to see if you have sufficient bandwidth to enjoy their content. I have subscribed since 2009, and have viewed live concerts on my iPad Air while sipping a scotch, and usually have few issues with streaming.

They have a link on their site where you can test your pipe to see if you have sufficient bandwidth to enjoy their content. I have subscribed since 2009, and have viewed live concerts on my iPad Air while sipping a scotch, and usually have few issues with streaming.

I appreciate that they have that service. I wish some of the recordings were available for purchase. There is one of Dudamel conducting Rachmaninoff's "Isle of the Dead" which is really great!

A wonderful site and it seems like good quality video/audio (I have an old computer so it skips anyway. I'll try it on my phone later.)

They do charge 149 euros which translates to $172.37, which presumably helps pay for the high quality in general. As far as copyright costs, they have lots of concerts listed for each year, but I would think the sync licensing must be simpler because more of the works should be post-copyright.

Anyway, thanks for the hot tip!

A wonderful site and it seems like good quality video/audio (I have an old computer so it skips anyway. I'll try it on my phone later.)

They do charge 149 euros which translates to $172.37, which presumably helps pay for the high quality in general. As far as copyright costs, they have lots of concerts listed for each year, but I would think the sync licensing must be simpler because more of the works should be post-copyright.

Anyway, thanks for the hot tip!

You're welcome. Aside from the live concerts, their archive is a treasure trove of performances; and they have other subscription options. And, for any Timpanists in the crowd (my main axe these days), the two co-principals in the Berlin Phil are incredible musicians with magical technique. If I were a band or orchestra teacher, I would want my kids, regardless of instrument, to be exposed to these virtuosos....just wish that the elite American ensembles like Philly, Chicago, Cleveland, et al.....could afford this kind of internet presence.

Edited by brichtimp
  • Like 1

Yes, I got the email, too. Agree with others: good news is the new format to come, and the bad is still a lot of uncertainty surrounding shows.

It was bound to happen, even to the marching music industry. If they hit DCI and WGI, I wonder how many high school and college programs might have to pull content that is not authorized?

Well, this might be one of the last things I can really give perspective on with my prior knowledge, so let me share what I know. Caveat emptor; I haven't been behind the scenes in almost two years. I can at best be general, but it might make some sense and fill in some of the gaps.

It's a little more than just a CDN change. First, I think the issue about the rights management has been fully addressed above. It's always a business decision. As had been stated, the main reason you only saw finalists on FN was that the licensing was thought to have covered in good faith based on the Legacy Collection. Anything more was bad ROI and thus unnecessary risk. Now the licensors are trying to triple-dip, and blah blah blah, turning into a public domain activity, etc. etc. /deadhorse

As for the technical changeover, the "more than just" is that they are partnering with a company that will do more than just provide the video. This means development, and content management. I don't know if this is for both sites or just FN, but it's a "platform" as opposed to "homebrew" that everyone complained about.

The argument for "homebrew" was always what you'd expect; do whatever you want, code and all, and keep all the money. The catch is that the development - especially the ongoing stuff - is expensive. It becomes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Like dci.org... that thing is how old in its current incarnation? There's nothing wrong per se, but it's definitely showing its age. The mobile / responsive stuff is really the hard thing to pull off well with "homebrew". It all takes a lot of money, time, and willpower, and it has to be done seasonally without upsetting the other folks that pay to use the platform.

The argument for the CDN/partner is simple; shared development. Live within the confines, and they will keep up with testing all the Android flavors, all the updated Bootstrap installs, javascript... all the crud that goes on behind the scenes to keep things working. On top of that, design, user interface... the works. There are some big players that use these systems... pro sports, college conferences... clearly a good combination. The downside is the CDN/partner takes a large cut. As content owner, that's a scary proposition. Your cash cow is your content, and now you have to agree to give away a percentage of every subscription.

From what I'd heard, it was clear that the DCI office wasn't willing to go down the additional employee route, and that there have been champions of the CDN/partner choice for years. It appears the time has finally arrived to give up some control and get some more polished product.

I truly, honestly hope that this is the right way forward for them. If there's one thing I'm sure of, they have crunched the numbers many, many times over. However I do know that those involved with creating The Fan Network did so before this kind of thing was even an option. Remember finals in 1999? One of those little web ball cams hanging out the pressbox updated every 10 seconds. Selling APDs within an hour of the performance. Live video. Live HD. This appears to be the next evolution.

So yes, there will be a lot of change, and as stated, it'll probably just be there one morning. DNS changeover, and boom. Technology moves on, and things can get more complex than can be handled by a small team, while still giving what fans demand. That's entertainment! I think everyone will be happier in the end, and hopefully it'll be revenue positive for the office and the corps.

• Like 1

Interesting and well-written article by "drumcat." This all seems logical. The web has certainly progressed with audio, video, and the customized views for desktop, tablet, cell phone. It does worry me some when niche markets, like drum corps, hand control of important concepts and/or content to larger, more commercial, 3rd party clients. The benefits can, as you say, be wonderful, and perhaps this will up membership. Perhaps DCI feels the only way to get FN membership up to even more profitable levels, especially in the midst of copyright issues, is to take the content delivery mechanism from "homebrew" (as you say) to the highest level of professional application.

But niche markets can be fickle, and with DCI potentially giving up more control and dollars will they find a good balance of income and quality? I hope so.

• Like 1