DCPI Season 23 Discussion Thread

Galen

Funny how quickly championships week can sneek up on you

They certainly can!

Unfortunately, we do not have a Fan Network (or even a Fantasy Network), so live "viewing" won't be an option. However, I will do my best to post routine updates during Wednesday's prelims. And speaking of which, we have the seedings and performance times for World Class corps ready to go! These seedings were determined based on an average of 3 scores for each corps from the Bowling Green and Atlanta regionals and the last day of the regular season. In a few instances, a few different selections were included in the data to give all corps a 3-show sampling, and this did not significantly affect the results. World Class prelims will begin at 11 am with the top 6 placing corps from Class A, followed by the top 6 placing corps from Open Class. After a short break, we'll get into the World Class portion, with Hawk's Eye stepping off at 2:30 pm and Polaris Regiment finishing off the night at 11:14, making for a total of 41 corps vying for 21 spots in Friday's semi-finals. The complete times for all corps are listed below:

Times%202_zpsquih7dmg.jpg

As a reminder, the cutoff for any caption changes to be submitted is 11:59:59 PM CST (23:59:59 Mil.Time) for all World Class events, due to the early start time.

Welp. That happened.

Congratulations to Mercury! They stayed in front for most of the year, and make for a fine champion.

This...this is one of many times where obsessively refreshing things will get me in trouble.

Still, a bit of a disappointing year, from our expectations. It'll be interesting to go back to the drawing board, see what went wrong this year, and figure out how to improve for the next.

Edited by ftwdrummer

Texas Zephyrs didn't miss finals- their scores just didn't make it into the score machine, an oversight which is now being corrected. Sorry for the mix-up, but today's been a computer nightmare for me. All sorts of crashes while I tried to get the scores loaded, took me 3 or 4 tries to finally get everything finalized. The rest of the week should go better.

To update tomorrow's schedule, the Class A and Open Class order will be as follows:

11:00 am: Kaiju Corps

11:15 am: Enlightenment

11:30 am: Xothyme

11:45 am: Hg

12:00 pm: Stars of St. Louis

12:15 pm: Mirfield Lockmen

12:45 pm: Star of Hawaii

1:00 pm: The Colonels

1:15 pm: The Marauders

1:30 pm: Spirit of Indy

1:45 pm: Huddersfield Hundred

2:00 pm: Mercury

2:30: World Class corps portion

Congrats to champions Mirfield and Mercury! The Lockmen especially had a dominating performance. And the Hundred from Huddersfield were so close.

Disappointment in the Cross camp with the 14th placement. First ever season missing Finals mostly due to planning and the great competition this Winter in Class A. You can bet our small corps from Scotland will be back this summer on a mission.

Hawaii is excited to be getting the chance to perform with the big corps today.

Indeed, Mirfield have been dominant for the last couple weeks. I really didn't see anybody challenging them from Class A, and it looks like I was right. Stars of St. Louis also deserve some recognition for making a big climb from 7th in prelims to pass a lot of big-time players. Great job for this first year corps! One thing that I hope directors will address at the next rules conference is the scoring deficiency that came about as a result of the new GE point rule. Scores overall for this division were down about 2-3 points on average compared to last season. While the scores were more balanced on the performance side (as the rule intended), it's evident that Class A corps may need a larger salary to maintain the overall balance in scoring if this rule is maintained in the future.

The competition in Open Class was deceptively tight all season long, but in the end we shouldn't be surprised that Mercury pulled off a repeat title. They knew how to turn it on the most when it counted at big shows- see their perfect Sweepstakes record as an example. What I'm most looking forward to is seeing how the Open Class corps fare in today's all-class prelims. I think there are a couple of groups from this division that will really turn some heads and could easily threaten some of the World Class groups for a position in semis!

Georgetown KY's IHigh.com Field was a bit on the small side as far as Class A venues go, but it provided for a very intimate two rounds of competition for Class A corps and was probably the best option available. Next time, however, we'll try and find a venue with some higher seating.

Georgetown%20KY%20Ihigh.com%20Field_zpsp

Richmond KY's Roy Kidd Stadium has been a great show venue for us in the past and served admirably for the Open Class event, with a perfect blend of high seating and close-up views.
Richmond%20KY%20Roy%20Kidd%20Stadium%202
Lexington KY's Commonwealth Stadium has actually been undergoing some renovations, and will certainly be an even better show site after they are completed sometime later this year, meaning that Lexington could certainly be appearing on our calendar again as a major event site someday. We'll be kicking off today's prelims in just under an hour, and the first slate of score updates will be published shortly after 2 PM today.
Lexington%20KY%20Commonwealth%20Stadium%

Thanks for the kind words - the Mirfield Lockmen are absolutely thrilled to have been given the nod in a Class A competition filled with such amazing shows, and the Huddersfield Hundred are just as happy taking home the silver in Open Class. However, both corps are trying to suppress the desire to celebrate for another day or two, in order to put on a worthy show for the crowds at the World Class preliminaries.

Congratulations to all the corps that competed in Class A and Open Class, especially the magnificent Mercury, the deserving winners of Open Class. We so look forward to the coming summer, and the chance to hear all the exciting new shows!

See you all in Lexington in about 25 minutes!

Edited by Eleran

Just about to get underway. The stadium announcer may have the best seat in the house (just ignore that sign on the sideline)!

KY%20FieldView_zpsv1qo0fjp.jpg

Just about to get underway.

Galen:

I noticed on the DCPI website that some Open and Class A corps are listed under today's Show Lineup, but I never signed up my two corps. Are they automatically being added to today's mix, due to their placement, or did I screw up the paperwork?

They have been added automatically, along with the other top 6 placing corps from Open and Class A.

• Like 1