The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I would love to see a corps play Nathan Daughtrey's Limerick Daydreams, such a neat piece, and lots of music to pick from it, probably could do a show on just that piece.

And Edvard Grieg's Funeral March, the big hit it in is so epic, and it happens twice!

Edited by Hansbari

Maybe a show called "Requiems"...or is it "Requii" :laughing: ....and do some of the Brahms, Mozart and my favorite...the Faure'.

If were talking Requiems how can you not include Verdi's? I love Verdi, his Requiems beat any of Mozart's.

I would have loved to hear Crossmen ( with Matt Krempasky doing the horn book, Mark Thurston doing the drum book and teaching it and Jim Ancona for the pit) do more music from Full Circle ( remember Puma and Myth America? ) and The Paul Winter Consort and maybe even some Brian Blade Fellowship. Maybe if a time machine is ever created someone needs to pull this thread out at design meeting somewhere in the 90's.

Actually here's a lot of great stuff that people are not thinking of or just don't know about.

African stuff: Music from Angelique Kidjo's Djin Djin album

Music from Salif Keita , Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti, Brice Wassy, Amadou and Miriam, Ismael Lo, Youssou N'Dour

Babba Maal, Osibisa, Kofi Ayvior, Mokhtar Samba, Zap mama, Lionel Loueke, Manu Dibango,

Les Go ( Koteba ) album Dan Gna

The Laijadu Sisters, A drum solo using rhythms and ideas from Doudou Ndiate Rose

Maghreb ( Moroccan soul/Rai ) Old Cheb Mami from the 80's, Cheb Zahouani, Bilal,

There's also lot's of great stuff from the Maghreb ( North Africa ) from Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia.

Brazilian stuff: Banda Black Rio, Jorge Ben, Copa 7, Joyce, Elis Regina, Claudia, Marcos Valle, Erlon Chaves, Azymuth, of course Aitro, Maria Joao and Mario Laginha, everyone likes Pat Metheny well.....check out Nando Lauria, Remember Pedro Anzar from PMG? Check out HIS stuff, much much more.

Cuban/Puerto Rican: Irakere ( I can't believe no one has touched this stuff!!!!), Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Fania, Mongo Santamaria, Michel Camilo ( ok Devils did a small part of one of his tunes), Johnny Rivera, Los Van Van, Domingo Quinoes,Tony Vega, Roland Morales ( good friend of mine).

Jazz/ Jazz Fusion/World Fusion:

Mahavishnu, John Mclaughlin, Jean-Luc Ponty ( he did lot's of great African stuff too ), Trilok Gurtu, Tony Williams, Chick Corea ( friends and the ultimate adventure ) , Return to Forever ( every album) lots of Herbie Hancock stuff from the 60's 70's 90's and The Head Hunters....., Al Di Meola, Weather Report, Joe Zawinal, Karizma, Wayne Shorter, Yellowjackets, Art Blakey, there's lots of great Don Ellis that has not been done, Stan Kenton ( lots of great stuff not done yet), Freddie Hubbard, The Meters, Oregon, Sam Rivers ( if you have not heard his stuff from the last 2 decades you need to drive down to Orlando and go to wills Pub to hear his Orchestra live!!).

Rock:

Sting, Yes, Kansas ( yea Spirit!!!), ELP, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Cream, Zappa ( obvious), Zeppelin, On The Virg, Peter Gabriel, Audioslave, Screaming Headless Torso,

There's so much out there but people seem to be stuck on Classical/Symphonic ( which I love ) or unheard of, off the wall, could not whistle it while walking out of the stadium even if I could remember it; wind ensemble pieces that " normal people " ( people who have never done drum corps, BOA level band or went to school for a Music Ed degree) just don't get in any form or fashion. These are the people we want to some how join and become a member, come and volunteer or be a corporate sponsor.... Yes we need to push limits and be creative but at the cost of more than half of the groups doing the same type of thing ( from a stylistic point of view)......

Edited by spirit7698
  • Like 1

I'd like to see the Cadets take a stab at Bill Frisell's "Have A Little Faith" (the album as a whole, not just the song). I think they could have great success with that material, but I wouldn't limit it to just them

Anything by Gordon Goodwin. I know a few corps have reached out to his material recently, but I'd really like to hear "Hunting Wabbits" or "Count Bubba's Revenge" specifically.

great topic here. love reading all the suggestions. Got into Jaga Jazzist on the recommendation from an earlier post. Thanks!!!

Anything by Gordon Goodwin. I know a few corps have reached out to his material recently, but I'd really like to hear "Hunting Wabbits" or "Count Bubba's Revenge" specifically.

Bluecoats 2004 had Hunting Wabbits, and Crossmen 2003 did the original Count Bubba (not "Revenge", though)