The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Said it before and I'll say it again and again until it happens...

Zappa, Zappa, Zappa!

So much Zappa would translate with major pwnage into a drum corps arrangement. Very surprised that no one has ever done any of his stuff... maybe copyright issues??

I think this would be a good show...

Peaches en Regalia

Slime

Montana

G-spot Tornado

Heck, the albums Strictly Genteel or The Yellow Shark have great material that would work very well.

The film scores of Miklos Rozsa have a lot of great content. I am surprised corps have not

played much of it. Also Passacaglia and Fugue (from the Kenton album), which I think

East Coast Jazz played back in 1999 would be really great if one of the 'bigs' played it.

Zappa, Zappa, Zappa!

So much Zappa would translate with major pwnage into a drum corps arrangement. Very surprised that no one has ever done any of his stuff... maybe copyright issues??

Peaches en Regalia

Slime

Montana

G-spot Tornado

Heck, the albums Strictly Genteel or The Yellow Shark have great material that would work very well.

Its hard to believe that a drum corp has not done a FZ show. There are so many possibilities. I'm not sure that Black Page can even be translated into written notes for a drum corps show, but I would love to see someone try!

The final selection by the final contestant in the preliminary rounds of the piano competition we're hosting right now was "Toccatina", op. 36 by Nicolai Kapustin (1983), which turned out to be a delightful little jazz piece, but then searching for it on y-t I stumbled onto another "Toccatina" by Kapustin: the third section of his op. 40, Eight Concert Etudes (1984). I just listened to a half-dozen different clips, and

is my favorite, though the sound quality of the recording is not good. I think this piece cries out for the Bluecoats to adapt.

That is one of the BEST modern pieces I've ever heard...

But I highly recommend this version instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb2JTjCNEM8&feature=related

This is the composer playing...and you get to see the music go by...

The other link sounds...well, imagine a piano played underwater, and recorded with the microphone that comes with a realistic desk top cassette recorder player (the kind your grandfather used to record business meetings in 1972...), but instead of being recorded onto that stunning piece of audio technology, it was recorded onto a Fischer-Price toddler's tape deck toy...

• 3 weeks later...

Zappa, Zappa, Zappa!

Peaches en Regalia

Slime

Montana

G-spot Tornado

Just saw Zappa Plays Zappa last night--outstanding! I think a Zappa show would be great. Seems to me, though, that this might be one of those situations where securing the rights would be difficult. His estate is unusually meticulous in how they handle his work.