The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Having just watched the Troopers' train-themed show from 2008, I wonder if they could make something of Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", which has some grandeur. Actually I think several of Lightfoot's tuneful songs could work as ballads in drum corps, but it appears that only one has ever been performed in DCI: "If You Could Read My Mind" twice in the 1980s. I took a look and listen to the Blue Knights' version, which was only so so.

I like it, and am reminded, just a little, of Delibes' "Flower Duet", which Phantom played in 2007.

Thanks!

Edited by warsawstory

Someone mentioned Kamran Ince...always looking for young, interesting composers. Found nothing wind band or orchestral on youtube...but I did find THIS:

It's from a first reading on his new opera - so it's only piano accompaniment...and at first I thought, 'well, this wouldn't work...I'll turn it off", but I stayed my hand a moment, because the music was building in power, and I thought,'hmmm, where is he going with this?' So I stayed the 2 1/2 minutes - worth it! There is great power in repetition...something drum corps has often used to great effect. I could hear this working -

Here ya go...found some...though it's only 30 second swatches of sound...scroll down once you go there...

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1191140/a/Kamran+Ince%3A+Fall+of+Constantinople+%2F+David+A.+Miller.htm

FYI - A group in Milwaukee called Present Music will be premiering his latest work, "Water".

I had a very coffee induced thought this morning: Are there any drum corps classics that could stand the test of time and return to the field? I knew that, for me, West Side Story is done. I think we've been to that well so many times, the water just tastes like everyone's hands have been dipped in way too often.

My next thought was, 'I bet 'this' (the tune I'll link to below) would never work...surely too creaky and dated...I'll just to to TSTMNBN and listen how not cool this tune is today'

Ok - I was totally wrong - not to mention how this link reminded me of how smokin' hot the leader of this group really was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK_xMCsYtBI

I think that, surely, we've arrived at a time when someone (or a number of someones...) could actually perform, night after night, an improvised solo in the appropriate spot in this number...

I know...

dream on...

Edited by FHdork

I had a very coffee induced thought this morning: Are there any drum corps classics that could stand the test of time and return to the field? I knew that, for me, West Side Story is done. I think we've been to that well so many times, the water just tastes like everyone's hands have been dipped in way too often.

My next thought was, 'I bet 'this' (the tune I'll link to below) would never work...surely too creaky and dated...I'll just to to TSTMNBN and listen how not cool this tune is today'

Ok - I was totally wrong - not to mention how this link reminded me of how smokin' hot the leader of this group really was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK_xMCsYtBI

I think that, surely, we've arrived at a time when someone (or a number of someones...) could actually perform, night after night, an improvised solo in the appropriate spot in this number...

I know...

dream on...

Ha! Love this and would love to see someone(Blue Devils)do this again from top to bottom with no cut and paste. When I clicked the link I thought wow I've never heard this arrangement before, after about 30 seconds or so I realized two windows had opened and one was playing a couple of counts behind the other and gave the opening a kind fugue like sound. very cool for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Air That I Breathe", by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood, made famous by The Hollies, could be a good drum corps ballad.

• Like 1

I know we've had lots of these before, but I don't want to dig them back up. I'm hoping that people will put up pieces that have never-or at least, rarely-been done. Any genre is fine, and feel free to say which corps would fit best with the piece. My list, which I'll probably update from time to time.:

Orchestral pieces

Low Symphony—Philip Glass (any corps, please just do it)

Suite for Organ, Brass Quintet, and Percussion—Craig Phillips (Cavies or Phantom)

Radical Light—Don Freund (SCV, Phantom, BK, Boston)

Symphony Concertante for Organ and Orchestra—Jongen (Phantom, please) link to mp3

Prayer of St. Gregory—Alan Hovhaness (ANYTHING by Hovhaness, really) link to mp3

Tabuh Tabuhan—Colin McPhee (Crown, Bluecoats, SCV) link to mp3

Made in America—Joan Tower (SCV, BK, The Cadets)

Prelude and Scherzo—Brett Baker

Four Sea Interludes—Benjamin Britten (Phantom, SCV, or BK) link to mp3

Symphony 6—Bruckner (Phantom or BK)

Symphony #5 ½ —Don Gillis

Variations, Chaconne and Finale—Norman Dello Joio

Symphony #1 (The Titan) —Gustav Mahler (Phantom, please)

Epigrams—Zoltan Kodaly (Would love to see the GMen tackle this)

Gaelic Symphony (in E-minor) —Amy Beach (Pioneer!, or Phantom, SCV, BK, the Cadets)

Wind Ensemble/Brass Ensemble pieces

Baron Cimetiere's March (thanks to Nikk for commissioning this one)—Donald Grantham

Trauersinfonie—Wagner (could be an instant classic for Phantom just like Elsa's Procession)

Casanova—De Meij

Journey into Freedom—Eric Ball link to mp3

Choral

How They So Softly Rest—Healey Willan link to mp3

Miserere nostri, Domine—Thomas Tallis

Libera nos I & II—John Sheppard link to mp3

Soundtracks

End Credits to the Film Little Children-Thomas Newman (love this track)

The Day is Yours (Henry V soundtrack) —Patrick Doyle (Crown or Phantom) link to mp3

Chevaliers de Sangreal—Hanz Zimmer (the only thing I've ever liked by him) (SCV or the Cadets) link to mp3

The Place Where Dreams Come True James Horner

Other

Our Prayer—Brian Wilson (Crown or the Cadets)

How about , James Taylor, Santana, Weather report a lot of great music.

I'd like to see Klesch and Hannum team up again, and write a whole show of Chuck Mangione for Crown. Make the interpretation really groove, maybe take inspiration from the Live at the Hollywood Bowl album

I'd also like to see them perform it with a whole line of flugelhorns

Land of Make Believe

Hide and Seek

Feels So Good

Land of Make Believe reprise

Holsinger's Providence Unfinished!

It would work great for Cavies or Bluecoats, would fit their style well. Plus, it's just a cool piece