The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Chimes of Swing

Here are a few works that I would love to hear on the field.

Ralph Vaughn Williams

A Sea Symphony

Symphony Antarctica

Symphony No. 6

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

Howard Hanson

Symphony #6

Randall Thompson

Symphony #2

Samuel Barber

Essays for Orchestra

Violin Concerto

Benjamin Britten

Peter Grimes

Dmitri Shostakovich

The Gadfly Suite

Piano Concerto No. 2

Modest Mussorsky

Pictures at an Exhibition (it's been quite a while since this work has hit the field)

Andrew Llyod Weber

Requiem

Sergei Prokofiev

Peter and the Wolf

Alexander Nevsky

Igor Stravinsky

La Sacre du Printemps

Al Hirt

Green Hornet

Stan Kenton

Selections from Artistry in Rhythm (another that has been a long time)

Music of Bill Chase

Someone really needs to jump on:

"Scenes From Melville" based on "Of Sailors and Whales" composed by Francis McBeth.

A high school band did this in '91 and it totally rocked.

Someone just needs to just do an entire show based off that whole piece. That piece is a show within itself.

Ralph Vaughn Williams

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis

Andrew Llyod Weber

Requiem

Sergei Prokofiev

Peter and the Wolf

Yes to those, but I don't think that the Williams piece can be done justice in its intricacy without making it the entire show. Wouldn't that be experimental!

Samuel Barber

Essays for Orchestra

Violin Concerto

Allow me to send you to SCV 2011. Their intro piece was Barber's "First Essay for Orchestra". It was great, and really set the mood for that show.

• Like 3

Someone just needs to just do an entire show based off that whole piece. That piece is a show within itself.

Yup, Westerville South MB did a whole show based on this in '91 and it was very "drum corps" and pretty danged cool. I would love to see a top tier World Class corps take the music and just totally dominate it on the field.... tongue.gif

Allow me to send you to SCV 2011. Their intro piece was Barber's "First Essay for Orchestra". It was great, and really set the mood for that show.

Yes, I know. I'm hoping someone can give us more than a taste to set the mood (though it was an excellent taste).

• Like 2

I'd like to see more music that was originally written for brass ensembles. I know the Cavaliers did some in 2010 with "Harrison's Dream." I think brass band music in general would translate really well to the field. The elements are already there - loud, awesome brass music and percussion. Examples -

(first piece is "Harrison's Dream," btw).

There's a lot of good brass quintet and brass ensemble music in general, too. Stuff by Malcolm Arnold, Eric Ewazen, Anthony Plog, Victor Ewald, and others.

• Like 1

I'd like to see more music that was originally written for brass ensembles. I know the Cavaliers did some in 2010 with "Harrison's Dream." I think brass band music in general would translate really well to the field. The elements are already there - loud, awesome brass music and percussion. Examples -

(first piece is "Harrison's Dream," btw).

There's a lot of good brass quintet and brass ensemble music in general, too. Stuff by Malcolm Arnold, Eric Ewazen, Anthony Plog, Victor Ewald, and others.

Cadets 98 was a brass piece by Van Der Roost called Stonehenge. Their brass wasn't that great, but it was music that translated REALLY well to the field, so I agree with you about more brass music.

Craig Phillips does some spectacular brass, organ, and percussion writing: