The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Jazz

Spanish

British

For the love of God, wont someone PLEASE play something different than the usual over arranged symphonic drivel that every Corps is playing???

Seriously good idea. Drum Corps is totally too over intellectual. There's simply no way to market Drum Corps to the masses. One of many reasons DC has died is the music, drills, and theatrical elements are way over the head of anyone other than a microscopic portion of even the music population. One would have thought that Star of Indiana's 1993 obscure program would have ended the pain. Yet, it just got worse. The nightmares of Garfield's 2007 virtually all vocal show "teaching us" drum corps still reverberate.

Bring back Jim Ott, Jerry Noonan, Phantom of The Opera etc. anything but what corps are playing now.

Edited by CaballarosJr.

Has Carolina Crown ever messed around with some Tchaikovsky? If not, they totally should!!! worthy.gif

Has Carolina Crown ever messed around with some Tchaikovsky? If not, they totally should!!! worthy.gif

They played 1812 Overture in their 2008 show.

I gotta say, hearing Billy the Kid or Grover's Corners again would be nice. Or maybe Hoedown without hearing Beef shouted? :P

I am now blasting my neighbors with something that is new to me. It is "The Death of Klinghoffer: Night Chorus." by John Adams. I had only heard bits and pieces of music from this opera, but the Night Chorus blew me away.

Edited by bluesman

I could totally see them doing the Finale from Tchaik 4. With the runs in the brass and everything. Now that'd be a closer for the ages.

• Like 2

Absolutely no clue who would do it, absolutely no clue in what possible show context it could fit in...

But ####, is this a fun song, and up tempo enough to be a challenge! thumbup.gif

Actually, on second thought, if anything from that album ended up on a field, I'd be a very happy fan.

Edited by UP Drumline

Mandarins - Excerpts from the Don Ellis "Haiku" album.

Wouldn't make a full show, but a couple tracks could provide interesting material.

Someone like Pacific Crest, Mandarins, or Glassmen - Music of Renaud Garcia-Fons

Here's a sample:

Crossmen or Madison - Spanish Steps, Big Band version

The CD version (available on Spotify) has some extra material that is sadly missing from this video.