The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I know Boston experimented with some How to Train Your Dragon music in 2013 and I think another corps should try it out with How to Train Your Dragon 2! I was listening to the soundtrack while doing some reading for chemistry and found this 6 minute bit in the soundtrack that I think would make for a beautiful ballad if made in drum corps form. Not as perfect for a ballad as Hymn of Axciom was, but could sound great if arranged properly.

If you want to listen, it's from 47:09-53:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyH9TQ9nPjo

How about a high velocity drill around "The Black Page" by Frank Zappa? That could be, IMHO, incredibly cool and challenging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6g9f60DPI

Don't know why...something in my guts makes me see BD or Madison taking this one on.

Edited by HornTeacher

A little different than Cadets 2004...

Did they do this piece then? I"m sorry...I missed it. It didn't show up on corpreps. Oh well...my lack of inner knowledge rears up to bite me in the ### once again...

Besides...the Ferguson tempo would really present some problems from the standpoint of marching. Back in the "park-and-bark" days, I'm surprised this piece didn't become a staple. But now....probably too tough to pull off. (That, and the fact that outside the fast 5/4 meter and melody...there really isn't much there. I probably would have been better off not mentioning it in the first place.)

Thanks for the tip, kdaddy. Yet another video I'll have to look up. :satisfied:

Edited by HornTeacher

As it should. There's so much great music out there. I enjoy everyone's contributions and have been turned onto some great pieces.

Definately a lot of interesting tunes mentioned in this thread (Especially mine lol).

The thing I would like to see DCI music get away from is Classical, Symphonic, Wind ensemble genres. Honestly, what percent of shows within the last couple of years used music from those genres? There is SO much out there that dosen't fall in to those categories....SO much.....sheesh. :)

Edited by Triple Forte

Definately a lot of interesting tunes mentioned in this thread (Especially mine lol).

The thing I would like to see DCI music get away from is Classical, Symphonic, Wind ensemble genres. Honestly, what percent of shows within the last couple of years used music from those genres? There is SO much out there that dosen't fall in to those categories....SO much.....sheesh. :)

Since Western "classical" music, broadly defined, has more than a half century of history, there is a lot of it to choose from, though. Certainly there's a lot more great classical music that hasn't been played in drum corps than has been played. Only once has anything by Bruckner been performed, for instance.