The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I think it's safe to say that DCI arrangers don't look at this thread.

Over the past 8 years, corps have played a couple of things from my original list on p.1, but no way I think it's because of DCP. lol.

I really hope that the Britten and Sessions pieces (Sea Interludes/Black Maskers) get done someday.

Here's something a little more in keeping with traditional notions of what could work in DCI. Could make a nice ballad...if corps keep on playing those relics.

Edited by Lance

Selections from Green Day's American Idiot. Have always thought this could work, though now the Cavies 2016 show has some of that same AI feel and attitude.

I saw a small marching band do an entire "American Idiot" show three or four years ago. It could work. Bluecoats have played the title song as an encore piece before.

• Like 1

Very few corps are brave enough to try the sort of stuff you guys have recently posted. Heck, I was shocked (and happy) when Crown played Rach Star. No matter how well arranged, no matter how well executed, judges aren't going to be able to give it a fair chance. So why play stuff you know will hurt you competitively?

There's a large Ohio marching band that every season tackles the music of one rock group or another, and every year I hear their parents complain about the band being underappreciated, with secondhand reports about judges admitting to not liking their material. Not sure if it's true, though.

We've seen Regina and Imogen lately, but what about Fiona?

Absolutely love this nonsensical tune (written by kids in a music education program). The vocal line is ballad-y. The string stuff behind it (which was featured in This is 40, I believe) makes it a toe tapper.

Though I have the Fiona version in mind, I'm surprised a corps hasn't played Across the Universe. Seems it would make a great melody/concept to build a show around (e.g., Because).

• Like 1

I saw a small marching band do an entire "American Idiot" show three or four years ago. It could work. Bluecoats have played the title song as an encore piece before

Thanks for nothing this. Would like to have heard how someone arranged the Green Day pieces.

We've seen Regina and Imogen lately, but what about Fiona?

Absolutely love this nonsensical tune (written by kids in a music education program). The vocal line is ballad-y. The string stuff behind it (which was featured in This is 40, I believe) makes it a toe tapper.

Though I have the Fiona version in mind, I'm surprised a corps hasn't played Across the Universe. Seems it would make a great melody/concept to build a show around (e.g., Because).

Good stuff. Strong melody, harmony, and rhythm built into just about everything she does.

I was really hoping that Bloo would do her Criminal in their Criminal show. I could've sworn that it was on the table at one point, too, but I'm getting old, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I'm not as big of a fan of their music as others, but I've always wondered what Twenty-One Pilots would sound like on the competitive field. I found that out today when I saw this clip on Twitter of a band from Oklahoma performing "Trees" as part of their show. Sounds like something the Blue Knights would play as a closer.

https://twitter.com/stfudun/status/786397493269442560

Here's the original version of the song.

Honestly didn't see it when listening to the song but after hearing the band arrangement, I'm in love

Thanks for nothing this. Would like to have heard how someone arranged the Green Day pieces.

Thanks for *noting* this. Stupid typist.