The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

1 hour ago, Lance said:

i've been waiting for a real treatment of mahler 1 forever. 

how amazing would this be, and it's just 1 little piece:

Yes. That is what I'm talking about!      Crown can own this piece.    NO ONE HAS EVER DONE MAHLER 1 IN DRUM CORPS.   PAGING MICHAEL KLESCH... MICHAEL KLESCH to the courtesy phone.

Me:  Hey, Mike...

MK:  Why, thank you for your suggestion.   Consider it done!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Crown can own this piece. NO ONE HAS EVER DONE MAHLER 1 IN DRUM CORPS.

Boston Crusaders 2012.

Now, they only did a little bit of it. But Crown wouldn't be the first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Devils doing Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass tribute! 

I'd be happy seeing almost anything by The Mars Volta put on the field ("Televators" ballad?), but in particular I'd love to see/hear this kind of chaos...

I like the take Bluecoats took this year musically. I may be a bit biased as I personally know the guys from Thank You Scientist, and can say they are enthralled. That said, there is so much progressive rock music there for the taking.

Prog rock music bands do not get media attention. I am sure Thank You Scientist has received a lot of people in the DCI fanbase searching their music. Prog bands tend to be not so uptight about copywrite BS. I think it is an avenue corps should persue.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 2

Bringing back a composer I talked about way earlier in the thread: Ola Gjeilo. I really want to hear his music in drum corps sooner or later.

This first one is one of his best-known pieces. A couple marching bands from Texas (Friendswood and Leander, I believe) have done the piece recently, but it's about time a drum corps gets its hands on it. Heck, I wouldn't mind if the solo was played on electric cello! Phantom, SCV, Crown or Cadets, please.

Next is "The Ground." Another stunningly beautiful piece from the composer, and a very hummable melody as well. Phantom or Cadets would do it justice. (The composer is at the piano, by the way)

And finally, perhaps the most deviant of his works, "Meridian." I can't see anyone other than the Crossmen playing this one. It's just right up their alley of groovy modern music.

We already know that Cadets can sing this, but I doubt many corps would include this for a ballad despite its sweet sound.  

[ ... but at least I arranged this as a nice brass warmup for my local HS]

i've mentioned it before, but Prayer of St. Gregory still needs to get done by a corps. 

anybody who likes grainger's "wall of sound" orchestration where every note is a chord change will dig it. 

this is a really good orchestration of the piece, which was originally written for just trumpet and organ, i believe. 

i'm looking at you crown and scv