The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

9 hours ago, Lithium Nitro said:

I brought it up for when this post was big in either 2017 or 2018 but I'll probably say it again Chevaliers de Sangreal by Hans Zimmer

YES!

It's also on the very first page of this thread. Cadets did a little bit of Zimmer's DaVinci stuff awhile back, but the way Cheavliers de Sangreal builds is something I want to hear a top 6 DCI hornline do!

1 hour ago, Lance said:

YES!

It's also on the very first page of this thread. Cadets did a little bit of Zimmer's DaVinci stuff awhile back, but the way Cheavliers de Sangreal builds is something I want to hear a top 6 DCI hornline do!

I feel like a piece like this would be only possible back in the 80s or 90s. Corps mix and mash too much for a slow build like that. 

50 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I feel like a piece like this would be only possible back in the 80s or 90s. Corps mix and mash too much for a slow build like that. 

The only corps that I can see pulling this off are SCV and BK.

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

does anybody know if any corps has ever done any pieces by Ola Gjeilo?  Very much a Hovhannes/Whitacre feel to his stuff that could work if a gifted arranger got their hands on it. 

I was the first to suggest Gjeilo about 3 or so years ago. Since then, a couple of Texas marching bands did his "Serenity (O Magnum Mysterium)," and I know of a band from my state that did "The Ground," but no drum corps has ever touched his works. I also particularly enjoy his "Meridian" and "Sanctus."

4 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

You really think SCV could pull it off without inserting 10 drum breaks in between? :lle:

I can only see Crown pulling it off 

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I was the first to suggest Gjeilo about 3 or so years ago. Since then, a couple of Texas marching bands did his "Serenity (O Magnum Mysterium)," and I know of a band from my state that did "The Ground," but no drum corps has ever touched his works. I also particularly enjoy his "Meridian" and "Sanctus."

Yeah, I rmemeber you giving a suggestion with his music in it, I think for the Cadets?  

Choral music can be hard to arrange for brass for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

look what scv did with glass's the canyon.  much longer piece with kind of the same buildup, and they did it in 3 minutes or so. 

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You really think SCV could pull it off without inserting 10 drum breaks in between? :lle:

Just now, Lance said:

look what scv did with glass's the canyon.  much longer piece with kind of the same buildup, and they did it in 3 minutes or so. 

And if their arrangement of "My Body is a Cage" this past season was any indication, they are very capable of pulling off such a build. But that's just IMO.

• Like 1