The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

1 hour ago, Lance said:

how has a corps not done this as a ballad?

reminds me a bit of BD 2016, though this piece was written by nyman quite a bit earlier. 

That's not a ballad but a dentist's waiting room background sound.  Come to think of it, some drum corps "music" is like hearing a dentist's drill!:unsure:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bob P. said:

That's not a ballad but a dentist's waiting room background sound.  Come to think of it, some drum corps "music" is like hearing a dentist's drill!:unsure:

I agree that it might sound better as a drum corps arrangement. But Lance has had some success in identifying worthy ballads. Years after he recommended a fairly obscure TV movie score, Phantom ended up using it in one of their stronger shows.

Its seems like every time I turn on the local indie-rock/pop college station, I hear something interesting that might adapt nicely to corps, but then I never find time to check the title and artist. So I'd probably heard "Lisztomania" before, but it wasn't until it suddenly turned up in a much-shared video today that I learned the title (which I would previously have associated only with a 1970s Ken Russell film). A catchy ditty. I'd like to see corps tackle music like that.

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Its seems like every time I turn on the local indie-rock/pop college station, I hear something interesting that might adapt nicely to corps, but then I never find time to check the title and artist. So I'd probably heard "Lisztomania" before, but it wasn't until it suddenly turned up in a much-shared video today that I learned the title (which I would previously have associated only with a 1970s Ken Russell film). A catchy ditty. I'd like to see corps tackle music like that.

Fantastic orchestral arrangement of it was used as theme music for the Amazon show Mozart in the Jungle. Available on Spotify.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Its seems like every time I turn on the local indie-rock/pop college station, I hear something interesting

Fantastic that you go there for entertainment, I do the same and find it enlightening to keep track of music trends. There is a lot of great music out there today for drum corps.

3 hours ago, MelloMatt said:

I'd like to see corps tackle music like that.

Edited by Bluzes
remove

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd like to see corps tackle music like that.

I liked over the years how quick great music would hit the field. For instance, according to Wikipedia the first hint of the music for Les Miserables was: The 1980 musical, by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg. The Les Miserables play didn't appear till a few years later. The Blue Stars brought this to the field in 1987, then Boston in 88, The Cadets in 89. A pretty quick turn around for some great music. Recently I would say Creep by Radiohead was pretty quick and I am sure other popular songs were brought to the field quickly as well. Like some of the music in this thread could be soon.

Edited by Bluzes