The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 1/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, Tim K said:

Earlier in the day I was looking for music for a slide show and came across “The Lion in Winter” soundtrack. I’m not sure the plot of the film would fit well on the drum corps field but the score has some powerful moments.

My first time hearing this wonderful music. What a great main theme. I immediately saw Phantom Regiment in my head. Thanks!

Maybe there should be a “Music Corps Should Not Do Thread.” If so, this would be perfect for that category.

Just got back from a local restaurant familiar to many in Massachusetts, especially 27th Alums, Kelly’s Roast Beef. I wasn’t in the Revere location, but I was in the mood for some fried clams. A family was sitting in a booth behind me, and they had a device that was playing “Baby Shark” over and over. A boy in the family, probably four or so, found a paper towel roll, pretended it was a trumpet, and marched around pretending he was playing “Baby Shark” on a trumpet. Maybe he has a future in drum corps, but he picked the wrong audition piece. And as anyone knows who has heard this ditty, it’s hard to get it out of your head! 

Thought I’d share my misery with you.

• Like 1

Gavin Harrison’s ‘Cheating the Polygraph’ is a re-imagined album of 8 songs from the band Porcupine Trees where he was the drummer. This is meh style rock rewritten in a big jazz fusion style. The link below is for a sample of the album, all tracks. There is some seriously cool jazz here for BD or Bloo. I am not a fan of the original band, but this album kills. Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/NJCPiNby-DY

Edited by DCI-DadJokes

John Powell has done it yet again with the soundtrack to the third How To Train Your Dragon film. This track especially would make for an awesome opener or ballad (not counting the last minute and 15 seconds, which could also work):

I'm on the bandwagon. Somebody (Phantom or Crown) needs to do Janacek's Sinfonietta. Also, somebody needs to start doing some John Mackey. Kingfishers Catch Fire as a closer would be amazing. 

16 minutes ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

Kingfishers Catch Fire as a closer would be amazing. 

I am so sick and tired of hearing every other high school marching band play that piece. Almost none of those renditions sound anywhere near the level of the original.

That being said, in the hands of a Top 12 corps that knows how to arrange this piece correctly, this would be a fantastic closer.

43 minutes ago, TheAngryBavarian said:

I'm on the bandwagon. Somebody (Phantom or Crown) needs to do Janacek's Sinfonietta. Also, somebody needs to start doing some John Mackey. Kingfishers Catch Fire as a closer would be amazing. 

There’s been quite a bit Mackey since BD first used his music in 2005.