The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

8 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I wonder if marching arts are even on most choral composers' radar? I would think it would be a great way for them to get more exposure for their compositions --

and given the technique most current brass instructors use at rehearsal for their brass lines to "sing" (vocally) the parts before the horn line lifts the instruments...

I think DCP has seen a few vids over the while of Crown, Cadets, Cavies and Bloo doing exactly that.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, xandandl said:

and given the technique most current brass instructors use at rehearsal for their brass lines to "sing" (vocally) the parts before the horn line lifts the instruments...

I think DCP has seen a few vids over the while of Crown, Cadets, Cavies and Bloo doing exactly that.

Not being a brass player, it makes me wonder about a couple of things. In vocal music, you set the embouchure by dropping the soft palate (almost like a yawn) and prepping your vocal chords for the highest note in a specific line. How does this correspond to brass or does it? Usually in percussion we say "If you can say it, you can play it." It helps when you can vocalize. 

Also, I've always thought about voicings in choral music as brass or string instruments. It always helped me set my tone to think of a tenor part almost like a viola (I'm technically a lyrical tenor.) Bridging lines without taking awkward breaths or adding an unnatural vibrato would seem useful in brass. Maybe that corresponds? 

Interesting topic...at least to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Has any corps performed Pharrell's "Happy" yet?

• Like 1

That video reminds me a bit of this fan-dancing video of Phoenix's "Lisztomania", another catchy song that might work in drum corps:

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, Incognito365 said:

And their performance level was nowhere near what it is now.

True, but they'd still were awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

A Las Vegas themed "Rat Pack" show.  Play music of Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, and Dean Martin from that era.  Color Guard would wear showgirl costumes with lots of long feathers, headdresses, legs, and...cleavage.

No males allowed in this guard for this show.

How old are you? I’m going to assume 60+ based upon your postings. 

“and...cleavage.” Really? You do know the age of the women who march, right? That’s downright gross on your part. Ewwwwww

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

How old are you? I’m going to assume 60+ based upon your postings. 

And how old are you!?  As opposed to the jazz and American standards of Sinatra, Davis, & Martin I'm going to "assume" you'd prefer Justin Bieber & the Jonas Brothers based upon your postings.