The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

• 2 weeks later...

Fiona Apple's new album is a revelation.  "For Her" is maybe the best track I've heard in a decade.  WARNING: The lyrics are unsettling.  Instrumentally, it could work for DCI in the hands of a gifted arranger. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

this is really only 1/2 on topic with mahler 3 starting at 47:50.  not quite sure how it hasn't been done yet, but it really should.  

but still, this was an amazing concert by the US Marine Band.  De Meij conducting his own symphony #1.  my personal fav is mvmt 5 from 40:57-end, but i know most people like mvmt 1 the best. 

also, this is so cool.  US Marine Band members all playing Holst 1 from their homes during covid-19

Edited by Lance

I would love to hear some San Fermin. I am not a huge fan of chamber pop but composer Ellis Ludwig-Leone has put a pause to that in this decade. His unique and dramatic arrangements have sucked me in over the years. Most of the pieces I'm thinking of are ballad'ish.

• 2 weeks later...

A-wop-bop-a-loo-bop-a-wop-bam-boom.

It appears that corps have never played anything by Little Richard, who died today at the age of 87.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:57 PM, mingusmonk said:

I would love to hear some San Fermin. I am not a huge fan of chamber pop but composer Ellis Ludwig-Leone has put a pause to that in this decade. His unique and dramatic arrangements have sucked me in over the years. Most of the pieces I'm thinking of are ballad'ish.

Not having heard the term "chamber pop" before, I checked the Wikipedia entry, which identifies the Beach Boys' album Pet Sounds (1966) as one of the earliest examples. Listening to the piece above, what it immediately reminded me of is the work Sufjan Stevens, but he's not mentioned there.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not having heard the term "chamber pop" before, I checked the Wikipedia entry, which identifies the Beach Boys' album Pet Sounds (1966) as one of the earliest examples. Listening to the piece above, what it immediately reminded me of is the work Sufjan Stevens, but he's not mentioned there.

Good comparison. Sufjan Stevens definitely overlaps into the chamber pop portion of a venn diagram. 

https://www.allmusic.com/style/chamber-pop-ma0000012300

• Thanks 1

How about:

Ladies and gentlemen, performing their 2021 show, Some Far Away Place, DCI is proud to present ... the Colts!

Repertoire

"Iowa Stubborn" (from The Music Man) by Meredith Willson

"This Is Only a Test" by Pennywise

"Far Away Places (with Strange Sounding Names)" by Joan Whitney and Alex Kramer

"Titles" (from Cedar Rapids) by Christophe Beck

"Put It to the Test" by They Might Be Giants

"So Far Away" by Carole King

"Stranded (in Iowa)" by Mike Heron and Manfred Mann

"This Is a Test" by Frank Zappa

"The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" by Charles Mingus and Joni Mitchell

"Somewhere" (from West Side Story) by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim

Edited by N.E. Brigand