The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

36 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Legends included Gordon Lightfoot (obviously lol) in their emotional Edmund Fitzgerald show. 

I'm quite fond of that show; that's when I first noticed Legends. The church bell chimed till it rang 29 times!  

• Like 1

If DCX is correct, then only one of Noël Coward's many songs ("London Pride") has ever been played by a drum corps (and only once, by a British corps in 1988). The song of his that I know best is "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" (1931), performed on this 1932 recording by Coward himself:

Coward was amused to hear that Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchil got into an argument about the lyrics following the signing of the Atlantic Charter in 1941. Here's another recording of Coward, seen performing it live as a patter song in 1955:

Mad Dogs & Englishmen is also the name of a well-known Joe Cocker album, and I see that there are also songs titled "Mad Dog" by by both America and Deep Purple, but I've never heard either.

• Like 1

His "senior" symphonies (4,5,6) get all the love, but man, Tchaikovsky's 2nd Symphony "Little Russian" might be his best one. All four movements are complete bangers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

So many of us love Mahler 2 so I thought I would post this. Brass plus contrabassoon.

Christopher Martin, bro of Michael (Cavies brass arranger) and son of Freddie (famous brass pedagogue), is the trumpet player in the red shirt. He was in Spirit of Atlanta in the 90s.

• Like 1