The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Been watching some vids I got when I was in a “really something different” stage. Last night watched Alexander Nevsky (1938 Russian with English subtitles) by Sergei Eisenstein. Music by Prokofiev and some really interesting uses of music and music as sound. Wondering if a corps could use any of this or Prokofievs other music. Could have some great uses of “thunderous goo” in the music as sound category. 

Tonight and tomorrow Ivan the Terrible Parts I and II (two separate movies early 1940s) by Eisenstein and Prokofiev.

Blue Stars did Ivan the Terrible back in their Div II/III days

I have Alexander Nevsky on VHS collecting dust somewhere. Good cinema

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Been watching some vids I got when I was in a “really something different” stage. Last night watched Alexander Nevsky (1938 Russian with English subtitles) by Sergei Eisenstein. Music by Prokofiev and some really interesting uses of music and music as sound. Wondering if a corps could use any of this or Prokofievs other music. Could have some great uses of “thunderous goo” in the music as sound category. 

Tonight and tomorrow Ivan the Terrible Parts I and II (two separate movies early 1940s) by Eisenstein and Prokofiev.

Didn't 7th Regiment perform music from Alexander Nevsksy about five years ago?

As I recall, although Eisenstein filmed both parts of Ivan the Terrible back in the 1940s, the second part didn't come out until years after his death, because Stalin's people felt it seemed too much like an allegory for their current political situation.

Not the first time that he came under the government's thumb. The silent films of Soviet directors was hugely influential in the 1920s, with bold visions and new techniques, and they were pretty successful as propaganda, too, but the filmmakers wanted to continue to experiment and innovate, and the authorities wanted them to keep it simple for the masses.

31 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I recall, although Eisenstein filmed both parts of Ivan the Terrible back in the 1940s, the second part didn't come out until years after his death, because Stalin's people felt it seemed too much like an allegory for their current political situation.

Not the first time that he came under the government's thumb. The silent films of Soviet directors was hugely influential in the 1920s, with bold visions and new techniques, and they were pretty successful as propaganda, too, but the filmmakers wanted to continue to experiment and innovate, and the authorities wanted them to keep it simple for the masses.

Yep Part II wasn’t released until Stalin passed because Papa Joe wasn’t too pleased with it. IIRC Part II showed Ivan getting more cruel and paranoid which, for some reason 🙄, hit a little too close to home for Stalin. And Eisenstein had passed before the release which killed chances for (the final) part III.

Will have to YT for some of Eisensteins silent work other than Potemkin (have seen that a few times). 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep Part II wasn’t released until Stalin passed because Papa Joe wasn’t too pleased with it. IIRC Part II showed Ivan getting more cruel and paranoid which, for some reason 🙄, hit a little too close to home for Stalin. And Eisenstein had passed before the release which killed chances for (the final) part III.
Will have to YT for some of Eisensteins silent work other than Potemkin (have seen that a few times). 

If you haven't yet seen the recent British/American film The Death of Stalin, a very dark comedy, I highly recommend it. And it was banned by Putin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If you haven't yet seen the recent British/American film The Death of Stalin, a very dark comedy, I highly recommend it. And it was banned by Putin!

Steve Buscemi and Micheal Palin, I am so on this. Weird part was parts of the trailer could have passed for history. 

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Back in the ‘90s, we watched the film Alexander Nevsky with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra playing the Prokofiev live at Symphony Hall. It was quite an experience!

• Like 2

First of all, this WHOLE PIECE by Lutoslawski is amazing.  I'd put it up with Bartok's own Concerto for Orchestra, written just a few years earlier.

From 3:15 to 3:50 in Part I is one highlight for me:

and in part II, 1:41-4:30 is also dynamite to me. so many colors, and some really fun big beefy brass stuff

Edited by Lance

On 8/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Corps should perform more marches. This Sousa march, for instance, is a favorite of mine, although I mistakenly believed...

...that it was named for the famous granite monolith in the well-known national park in California. You know the one I mean:

yosemite-sam.jpeg

(And you probably know how to pronounce it, too!)

But I was wrong! It was actually from an operetta that Sousa wrote that has nothing to do with Yosemite:

250px-John_Phillip_Sousa_-_De_Wolf_Hoppe

Speaking of the original El Capitan, I highly recommend this 2018 documentary:

Anyone that needs sheet music to play El Capitan needs to turn in their Band-Geek card.

I'm generally not a fan of mash-ups, but this is fun:

• Like 1