The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 8/28/2020 at 11:09 AM, RetiredMusTeach said:

Just in case someone decides to do a cheerful show - not holding my breath on that one!

What a fun performance!

Looks like several corps have played that "Tico Tico" before, but not for a while.

• Like 1

Nice to see a band get a hit (their first in nearly a decade) in their 20th year together:

Although there are other songs by the Strokes that might adapt more readily to drum corps. How about a mash-up of a bunch of their songs? Lots of brief excerpts? You could call the show the "Short Strokes". Or maybe the "Little Strokes". Or perhaps the "Mini Strokes"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have drum corps really never covered a song written by Johnn Cash? (Trent Reznor wrote "Hurt" and June Carter Cash wrote "Ring of Fire".) He penned so many hits! Here's one that might have worked in Suncoast Sound's 1984 show, among others: 

"I wear the black in mourning for the lives that could have been

Each week we lose a hundred fine young men."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Have drum corps really never covered a song written by Johnn Cash? (Trent Reznor wrote "Hurt" and June Carter Cash wrote "Ring of Fire".) He penned so many hits! Here's one that might have worked in Suncoast Sound's 1984 show, among others: 

Because it was a disappointing show by their standards (though a miracle recovery compared to what they were fielding earlier in the season), I forget that Minnesota Brass played "Hurt" in 2017. And then they were gone.

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

[...]

"I wear the black in mourning for the lives that could have been / Each week we lose a hundred fine young men."

But apparently there are people who even today think those fine young men were suckers and that cemeteries like Arlington are filled with losers. People who would stand next to the father of a veteran at his gravestone in a military cemetery on Memorial Day and say: I don't get it, what was in it for them? People who would suggest that it would be better for military parades not to include amputees or other visibly wounded veterans because: nobody wants to see that.

I do tend to be a little wary of patriotic displays myself, because I think they can risk glossing over the messy (but aspirational) nature of our history, but confronted with statements like those, I really need an infusion of some national spirit.

Lots and lots of corps have played Morton Gould's American Salute (derived from the Civil War tune "When Johnny Comes Marching Home"), although I think no DCI or DCA finalist has used it since the Sunrisers in 1999. (Corps have played some other Gould songs; I'm curious which of his tunes are people's favorites.) Maybe it's time another top tier corps had a go. I saw two marching bands do excellent versions with the piece in the past five years, including Broken Arrow, who placed fourth in Bands of America's finals two years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I do tend to be a little wary of patriotic displays myself, because I think they can risk glossing over the messy (but aspirational) nature of our history, but confronted with statements like those, I really need an infusion of some national spirit.

Lots and lots of corps have played Morton Gould's American Salute (derived from the Civil War tune "When Johnny Comes Marching Home"), although I think no DCI or DCA finalist has used it since the Sunrisers in 1999. (Corps have played some other Gould songs; I'm curious which of his tunes are people's favorites.) Maybe it's time another top tier corps had a go. I saw two marching bands do excellent versions with the piece in the past five years, including Broken Arrow, who placed fourth in Bands of America's finals two years ago.

Way back when I was a freshman in high school, our marching band played Neil Diamond's "America" (although not in our contest show). That was from his movie The Jazz Singer, but while the movie is generally considered a failure (I saw it on TV many years ago and it's pretty dull stuff), I still like the soundtrack a lot. It looks like a handful of corps played this one back in the 1980s and 90s; did any of them bring it off?

Just now, Ghost said:

Got to love (starting at 4:41) the trumpet solos.  After the young man finishes his solo, he gets a well done tap on his leg from the Army member.

I noticed that too! Very cool.

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But apparently there are people who even today think those fine young men were suckers and that cemeteries like Arlington are filled with losers. People who would stand next to the father of a veteran at his gravestone in a military cemetery on Memorial Day and say: I don't get it, what was in it for them? People who would suggest that it would be better for military parades not to include amputees or other visibly wounded veterans because: nobody wants to see that.

Still think Star wins in '92 (or at least picks up silver) if they close with this instead of the closer they used.