The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Florence Price has been getting some love in performance halls in the last five or so years (and the Philly Orchestra won a grammy with her 1st and 3rd symphonies this year). She's the first black woman to ever have a composition played by a major orchestra. Phantom Regiment, play this important music! (love the end of this symphony)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:42 PM, kdaddy said:

Florence Price has been getting some love in performance halls in the last five or so years (and the Philly Orchestra won a grammy with her 1st and 3rd symphonies this year). She's the first black woman to ever have a composition played by a major orchestra. Phantom Regiment, play this important music! (love the end of this symphony)

I saw the Detroit Symphony Orchestra play the Third Symhony this year. I agree, she should be played by some corps. (I also saw Hilary Hahn play Dvorak’s Violin Concerto at the same concert.)

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I saw the Detroit Symphony Orchestra play the Third Symhony this year. I agree, she should be played by some corps. (I also saw Hilary Hahn play Dvorak’s Violin Concerto at the same concert.)

Hilary Hahn is amazing. She has my favorite recording of The Lark Ascending, hands down. I think I've also heard her play Sibelius's Violin Concerto, which also is absolutely amazing

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SaturdayNightLights said:

Hilary Hahn is amazing. She has my favorite recording of The Lark Ascending, hands down. I think I've also heard her play Sibelius's Violin Concerto, which also is absolutely amazing

Earlier in he season, I saw Ray Chen play the Sibelius Violin Concerto. He is a rising star. It was the very first live concert for the DSO since COVID. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Earlier in he season, I saw Ray Chen play the Sibelius Violin Concerto. He is a rising star. It was the very first live concert for the DSO since COVID. 

It's on my list of must hear live's. I've heard it once in concert but the orchestra wasn't quite what I was hoping for, so I want to see a better ensemble with a soloist that is at least as good.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SaturdayNightLights said:

It's on my list of must hear live's. I've heard it once in concert but the orchestra wasn't quite what I was hoping for, so I want to see a better ensemble with a soloist that is at least as good.

Ray Chen was great, and my wife said he was easy on the eyes. Funny … she has never said that about me. Either things. 

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love to see a drum corps tackle this work, especially the first movement. The last 80-90 seconds of the first movement I think could easily be written to be a DCI closer.

It's Hindemith, though. You'd better have some guts to dive into the deep end here.

I can never remember how to embed video because I only do it once a year or so. "Pittsburgh Symphony" by Paul Hindemith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmRo1yQoKWE

• Like 2

Every couple years, I get on a Ron Nelson kick. But who doesn't?

Both of these tunes have been played before, but I think they're worth revisiting. Also apparently Rocky Point Holiday has also been performed...

• Like 1