The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

In my mind, they would have to nail it so hard. Because:

1. This is Regiment trademark territory.

and 

2. As someone who has been observing the marching activities across independent and scholastic groups for 40 years, I need another Organ Symphony, Carnival of Animals, or Danse Macabre on the field or gym floor like I need another First Circle on the field or gym floor. That is to say, I feel like I don't need it. 😁

Can't argue with that. My grasp of more is limited. 👍

Thought I was listening to a Strauss piece on the radio this morning, but turns out it's Offenbach.  Not familiar with much of his music other than his famous can-can, which turns out IS in this work as well.  But this is a short section that I thought could be amazing on the field for both brass and percussion.  

The 1 minute mark sounds almost exactly like Howard Shore's music for the lighting of the signal fires in The Two Towers, lol. 

https://youtu.be/oVD8PMplXS

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

Back on my ballad BS again. Outside of Jet, it doesn't look like anyone has done non-Beatle music of McCartney. How about Waterfalls?

or My Love?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Back on my ballad BS again. Outside of Jet, it doesn't look like anyone has done non-Beatle music of McCartney. How about Waterfalls?

or My Love?

Yes, yes, yes!  Perfect stuff for dci today.  

Technically, McCartney's non-Beatles work has been done, just not his rock.  Marauders did Liverpool Oratorio in the early 90s.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocketman said:

Regiment should re-do 1985's Symphony Fantastique modernized for 2023. 

Complete with a scaffold prop?

• Thanks 2

On 9/28/2022 at 3:08 PM, Lance said:

Thought I was listening to a Strauss piece on the radio this morning, but turns out it's Offenbach.  Not familiar with much of his music other than his famous can-can, which turns out IS in this work as well.  But this is a short section that I thought could be amazing on the field for both brass and percussion.  

The 1 minute mark sounds almost exactly like Howard Shore's music for the lighting of the signal fires in The Two Towers, lol. 

https://youtu.be/oVD8PMplXS

27th did excerpts from “Gaite Parisienne” in 77, 78, and 82 and it worked well. Offenbach’s music would work well in drum corps, especially parts of his opera “Tales of Hoffman”

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 6:04 PM, Rocketman said:

Regiment should re-do 1985's Symphony Fantastique modernized for 2023. 

Symphony Fantastique was a bit of a slog for our young group at that time and I would love to see another run at it.