The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Years ago, I heard a piece performed by Sammy Davis Jr.  "California Suite"... long piece, 24 minutes or so, I think it was written by Mel Torme.

Some really tasty stuff there. Of course, Sammy made it even better. One of the all-time great vocal stylists.

I always thought it would have been a good fit for the Blue Devils, in the days when they were known for their jazz charts. 

Now... I'm not sure it would work in a modern-era show, with the different demands and different emphasis on visual vs. music, etc.

Edited by Fran Haring

Melodius Thunk David Biedenbender

On 2/6/2019 at 8:21 PM, TheAngryBavarian said:

I'm on the bandwagon. Somebody (Phantom or Crown) needs to do Janacek's Sinfonietta. Also, somebody needs to start doing some John Mackey. Kingfishers Catch Fire as a closer would be amazing. 

I have been demanding...er...suggesting that Phantom do the Janacek for over 10 years, if not longer. 👍

Shows how much they listen to me!  😄

Listening to a bunch of Miklos Rozsa movie scores on Youtube. Yes, corps have played a number of them. But there are riches yet to be tapped.

On 3/26/2008 at 8:58 PM, davidp said:

An Original Suite - Gordon Jacob

Blue Lake - John Barnes Chance

Festival Prelude - Alfred Whats-his-name (sorry, it just got away from me; sucks to be me since it's one of my favorite band pieces)

Don't know much of the new stuff; I've been out of the loop for a while.

I've been hoping for years some corps music staff woulf re-discover Blue Lake.  Current band directors, for the most part are more modern day composers, but I believe heritage composers deserve a second listen.  The Cavaliers opened 1987 with Claude T. Smith''s "Festival Variations," one of the rare performances of his composition ever recorded.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...