The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

DCI needs more Vangelis. I know he's denied arrangements for the field in the past, but it's worth trying again in the modern era just to get one of these gorgeous pieces performed.

For an opener: "Conquest of Paradise" (One of his most popular pieces, very reminiscent of Ravel's Bolero)

For a ballad: "Hymn" (The 1996 re-release of the 1979 original)

For a closer: "Eternal Alexander" (This comes from the movie "Alexander," which is terribly boring, but Vangelis' stunning soundtrack makes up for it. This particular track just keeps building and building until the glorious climax at the end. Would be the perfect way to end a show.)

On 12/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, Lance said:

Tocatta from Widor's 5th symphony. 

Imagine Crown doing the transition from 3:35-3:40. 

My god. 

Trouble is that they would try to get the pedal notes using the synthesizer and the poor low bass capability of the loudspeakers.  The equipment used now is good at playing mid bass loudly, but doesn't go much lower than 60 hz, when the pedal C is at about 16 hz.  All we would be exposed to is very distorted woofers doubling try to reproduce 16-40 hz notes.

3 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Trouble is that they would try to get the pedal notes using the synthesizer and the poor low bass capability of the loudspeakers.  The equipment used now is good at playing mid bass loudly, but doesn't go much lower than 60 hz, when the pedal C is at about 16 hz.  All we would be exposed to is very distorted woofers doubling try to reproduce 16-40 hz notes.

bumming me out, man

and yeah, i'm a closet vangelis fan, @Cadevilina Crown

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 4:04 AM, furious-winter said:
On 11/28/2018 at 4:32 PM, DTrooper77 said:

've just discovered "Symphonic Metal" music.  I've fallen in love with this band Nightwish.

Anyone think that in the right hands, this could serve as the bulk of a show?   BK? BC? SCV? Crown?

If you like it, check out the live version with the new singer for a real treat....wish I had seen this live...

absolutely! and in that vein, i feel like this could def work as a ballad

I think these both have real potential in the right hands....what a combination of great orchestration and "black" metal.  Wow.

Thanks

Edited by DTrooper77
Add links

Two more from Nightwish..

Jazz/Blues candidate...

Just like this one...really nice transitions..

Edited by DTrooper77

On 12/4/2018 at 12:40 AM, Tony L. said:

Still think a Vanguard show based on the Death of Klinghoffer could be amazing.  Oh, and the Mandarins doing the Cultural Revolution Ballet from Nixon in China would be cool too!

I’ve said it before but someone really needs to dedicate a show to Adam’s Harmonium...SCV would be the best fit.  Crown or Cadets would also do it justice.  Phantom of old could but I would cringe with their current incarnation.