The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 9/13/2019 at 12:26 PM, palmettomello said:

Crown, Coats, or SOA. This could be beautiful on the field. I love this version more than the original. Progressive rock with an organ line based on Bach's Air for the G String, what could be better?

THANK YOU for posting this!  I didn't know it existed and I've watched it dozens of times since.  After "Ave Marie" I want this played at my funeral.  Didn't realize the organ part was based on Bach, so that means Procol Harum was one of the first, if not the first, progressive rock bands.  

Had we survived, the Kingsmen could have done this one justice too. 

Where is VK when you truly need them...

• Like 1

This is a show that is almost a no-brainer, but will not (and should not) be done: 

A Clockwork Orange.  The music, esp 'The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van' is absolutely central to the show, and if you want to use what is in the movie, could include Wm Tell Overture, Pomp & Circumstance, Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary, & Singin' in the Rain.

The problem is that the story is ultra-violent, with a brutal rape & a rape / murder central to the story.  So it will never be done.  But the music is really good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was at live concert by Navy Commodores Jazz Band this weekend for Veterans Day celebration. Their arrangement of "Internal Conflict" by music greats CHICAGO struck a good ear with many parts seeming apt for BD, Bloo, or Cadets under Bocook. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Edited by xandandl

• 4 weeks later...

I am totally ready for next year's Van Halen / Billie Eilish mashup.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:39 PM, Brian Tuma said:

I love my Blue Stars but I think they missed a great opportunity to bring down the house in 2017 by not doing an over the top arrangement of this.

Over in DCA, Sunrisers performed "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" three or four years ago, and just as in the Moulin Rouge arrangement, they interpolated a little of "Material Girl". I saw a high school marching band do the same thing a year later.

For those who don't know: "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" is originally from the 1949 musical Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which starred Carol Channing. It was loosely adapted to film in 1953 and starred Marilyn Monroe (who shared top billing but was paid just a tiny percentage of what was earned by her co-star, Jane Russell). The video for the Madonna song "Material Girl" (1985) was an homage to the 1953 film sequence.

• Like 2