The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

The allegro giocoso section  (4:14-6:21) of the above video is spectacular.  Poulenc has some of my favorite literature for solo winds, too. 

I love how he bounces back and forth between frenetic and lyrical over a 4-bar phrase, like in this piece, which I think could pretty easily be adapted for brass:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lance said:

The allegro giocoso section  (4:14-6:21) of the above video is spectacular.  Poulenc has some of my favorite literature for solo winds, too. 

I love how he bounces back and forth between frenetic and lyrical over a 4-bar phrase, like in this piece, which I think could pretty easily be adapted for brass:

A lot of similarities with his piano concerto - delightful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

A lot of similarities with his piano concerto - delightful!

He's instantly indentifiable.  I think he and Berlioz are 2 of the most underappreciated composers of this century. Nearly every piece they wrote makes me want to get up and do...something?  They just happen to both be French.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, Lance said:

I learned that my piece my Junior Year and movements 1 and 3 were such a pain, especially since my articulation was never the best around that time. That second movement though... I'll play that all day. 

Edited by FaustianMachine

On 12/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, tedrick said:

Choral repertoire is perfect for drum corps - check out anything  by Oakwood University Aeolians - just really great choral music performed at the highest levels of excellence -

I would agree. My personal opinion would be to lean to the more "contemporary" choral writers. Rutter could translate very well and has a VAST grouping of works. Shaw might be a little "bland" for the field. When I read this my mind went to Whitacre almost immediately. I would be interested to see how "Leonardo dreams of his flying machine" could be scored for brass and percussion. It could certainly lead to some really creative guard moments. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would agree. My personal opinion would be to lean to the more "contemporary" choral writers. Rutter could translate very well and has a VAST grouping of works. Shaw might be a little "bland" for the field. When I read this my mind went to Whitacre almost immediately. I would be interested to see how "Leonardo dreams of his flying machine" could be scored for brass and percussion. It could certainly lead to some really creative guard moments. 

Cavaliers did Rutter for several seasons in the '90's.

• Like 1