The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Just now, xandandl said:

Cavaliers did Rutter for several seasons in the '90's.

I'll have to go back and take a look at the repertoire's. I lost touch with DCI for a number of years after college. I was actually part of a "Rutter Choir" at UA when I was there.  

21 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'll have to go back and take a look at the repertoire's. I lost touch with DCI for a number of years after college. I was actually part of a "Rutter Choir" at UA when I was there.  

Type Rutter in the search bar at http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm and a page worth of corps and reps cite a number of John Rutter's pieces used by many corps besides Green team.

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

someday, cyrillus kreek will get the recognition he deserves.  

beautiful harmonies rich with chromaticism that reminds me of grainger. 

It's a beautiful piece. I think it gets some pretty good credit in the choral circles. But "choral circles" are almost as niche as "drum corps circles" so......

I started out as a vocalist and stuck with it from the time I was 8 or 9 through college. Percussion became a passion when I was probably 11 or 12 but choral music always makes me smile. 

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

lots of whitacre has been used, too.  i'm actually sick of him.  love rutter, though.  his rendition of "be thou my vision" is a really nice little piece. it could work in a world class show, i think. 

and at my funeral someday.

The Old Irish piece cited to St. Dallen using the Slane melody has given birth to many choral works and versions. No less than Wikipedia has a page of artists who have adapted it as their own, some with some very interesting takes. With "diversity" and multi-culturalism now the big "educational" buzzword, going back to the 1990's-early 2000's several BOA bands did it at GN (getting by their school boards by calling it by the Gaelic name Rob tú mo bhoile.) 

But that's not what the announcers called it, ha, ha. 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 7:56 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would agree. My personal opinion would be to lean to the more "contemporary" choral writers. Rutter could translate very well and has a VAST grouping of works. Shaw might be a little "bland" for the field. When I read this my mind went to Whitacre almost immediately. I would be interested to see how "Leonardo dreams of his flying machine" could be scored for brass and percussion. It could certainly lead to some really creative guard moments. 

Agree - Rutter has been great in the drumcorps settings -
if you like Whitacre check outJake Runestad!

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:35 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I had never heard of Rutter until Cavaliers did Gloria in '89.  Hooked me instantly and have been a fanboy ever since.  For both Cavs *and* Rutter!

Mike

• Like 2

Speaking of choral composers, I'm still waiting to hear Ola Gjeilo on the field. I've heard several high school marching bands play his stuff, but no drum corps have touched anything by him.

Daniel Elder and Eriks Esenvalds are two other great choral composers whose styles would translate really well to the field.

• Like 1