The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I remember liking the Robert Redford movie Sneakers when it came out in 1993 but for some reason the score by James Horner made no impression. Listening to it right now, there's a lot to like. Reminiscent of some stuff Blue Knights have played over the past five years or so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I remember liking the Robert Redford movie Sneakers when it came out in 1993 but for some reason the score by James Horner made no impression. Listening to it right now, there's a lot to like. Reminiscent of some stuff Blue Knights have played over the past five years or so.

Featuring Bransford Marsalis! Great flick and great score that really fits the movie. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Just curious.  Has any corps used music from the "Victory at Sea" series in their show?  I love the music and think some it would work for drum corps.

Yes, at least as far back as 1956 (probably earlier too) and as recently as 2019, but mostly in DCA. Colts played some in 2009.

(DCX lists a couple dozen corps playing it.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Just curious.  Has any corps used music from the "Victory at Sea" series in their show?  I love the music and think some it would work for drum corps.

Cavies used it in ‘74.

• Like 1

on a string kick lately and looking for peace in this crazy world.  these could be nice ballads for brass, i think. i'd rather burn my eyes out than watch the movies, but delerue and newman are masters of getting at the heartstrings:

On 5/19/2020 at 11:14 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

that was such a fun soundtrack.  i like his kind of offbeat stuff and work he's done in movies that aren't huge mainstream hits.  

i think he plagiarized his searching for bobby fischer and even his sneakers soundtracks a lot for a beautiful mind....kaleidoscope of mathematics has been done a lot by corps, but this precursor to it from searching for bobby fischer hasn't been done yet, and should. so exuberant and hopeful:

and this cue has a very sneakers feel to it, too, and i'm convinced he was listening to a lot of pat metheny when he was writing it:

Edited by Lance

On 8/19/2011 at 11:48 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Having just watched the Troopers' train-themed show from 2008, I wonder if they could make something of Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", which has some grandeur. Actually I think several of Lightfoot's tuneful songs could work as ballads in drum corps, but it appears that only one has ever been performed in DCI: "If You Could Read My Mind" twice in the 1980s. I took a look and listen to the Blue Knights' version, which was only so so.

I see that in March, Lighftoot, now 81, released his first studio album in 16 years.

Here's a lively early work of his from 1968, before he hit the pop charts:

Per Wikipedia, that song "was subsequently banned in 30 American states".

Sometimes libraries have "banned book" displays. Maybe a corps could do a "banned music" show.

Or it might work in a reboot of Crossmen's 2013 show.

48 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I see that in March, Lighftoot, now 81, released his first studio album in 16 years.

Here's a lively early work of his from 1968, before he hit the pop charts:

Per Wikipedia, that song "was subsequently banned in 30 American states".

Sometimes libraries have "banned book" displays. Maybe a corps could do a "banned music" show.

Or it might work in a reboot of Crossmen's 2013 show.

Legends included Gordon Lightfoot (obviously lol) in their emotional Edmund Fitzgerald show.