Just Discovered "Into the Light"

I keep hearing this and I've lsitened to this show a thousand times and still don't understand what was SO amazing about the percussion. Maybe it just wasn't as flashy as other corps? I mean, this is coming from someone who hasn't touched a percussion instrument ever so obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about but I usually can distinguish phenomenal lines from good lines.

I think this comes from the percussion ensemble as a whole was written in a way that not only featured them in a quality way, but was also performed at a high level. The Rennick's put lots of notes when it was appropriate, and didn't try to be flashy when it wouldn't have made musical sense. It was intelligent writing, performed by wonderful musicians. At least, that's why I feel it is regarded so highly.

• Like 3

I agree tesmusic. It seems to me that Mr. Rennick is about technique and performance of the material. Showy flash is not a focus, nor is loud drumming for the sake of it. His lines are generally musical and purr like kittens.

I think this comes from the percussion ensemble as a whole was written in a way that not only featured them in a quality way, but was also performed at a high level. The Rennick's put lots of notes when it was appropriate, and didn't try to be flashy when it wouldn't have made musical sense. It was intelligent writing, performed by wonderful musicians. At least, that's why I feel it is regarded so highly.

That's why I really like it.

I agree tesmusic. It seems to me that Mr. Rennick is about technique and performance of the material. Showy flash is not a focus, nor is loud drumming for the sake of it. His lines are generally musical and purr like kittens.

Exactly.

I'm not saying tons of notes and aggressive playing shouldn't be used, just when it makes musical sense.

• Like 1

YouTube led me to this Percussion Standstill recording from seminfinals day. The quality of the audio is great and the book just shines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPPeO5ba5E

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

The 2010 Phantom drumline stood as the best line DCI has ever seen . . . until 2013.

• Like 1

The 2010 Phantom drumline stood as the best line DCI has ever seen . . . until 2013.

I've tended to prefer Rennick's and Aungst's writing to McNutt's, but 2013 made me a believer. Hoping for a return to that timbre and aggression in 2015.

First really noticed Rennick's writing in 2003 Regiment.