SOA '15

Yes, it is the middle of winter and yes, certain corps are never heard from until late Spring.

In the meantime the only communication is rumor, innuendo, and half-stated truths.

Spirit of Atlanta and SCV seem particularly quiet this winter.

While SCV is in its WGI efforts plus a period of mourning for a key program director, SOA doesn't even make the DCI web page snippets of infos or photos.

It leads to wonder when CV posted this video today on the DCA thread: http://vimeo.com/117398692

Given the youth pictured in this video, I am curious..

Georgia and area does produce some great marching bands certainly. Other corps are speaking of the high rate of Floridians and other Southerners at auditions.

But does the rise and success of CV have an inverse proportional effect on Spirit of Atlanta which lately seems to be struggling?

The experience and depth of CV faculty leads me to ponder as SOA is in transition, again.

While CV seems to have always been suportive of SOA, and visa versa, to answer your question,

No, CV had nothing to do with SOA's lack of competitive success or with their pathetic show design in 2014.

The poor, narrow-minded, self-serving leadership is to blame.

That is all.

• Like 1

While CV seems to have always been suportive of SOA, and visa versa, to answer your question,

No, CV had nothing to do with SOA's lack of competitive success or with their pathetic show design in 2014.

The poor, narrow-minded, self-serving leadership is to blame.

That is all.

ouch.

• Like 1

I note that the above poster is a current marching member of Spirit, a rookie no less according to his profile.

Like many TV ads say in the coda and fine print, results may vary based on experience and individual.

This is going to come off sounding arrogant and pompous maybe but why does any corps have to provide information or reports or any kind during the off season if they choose not to? Perhaps their experience has been negative when they have done this in the past (I know this to be the case in some instances). For instance, the perception that has been stated that we at CV appear to be much younger this year are not true. We have remained at basically the same average age for the past 4 years I have been a member. Trust me, there are enough of us old guys around to balance it out. (The average age of the drum majors this year is 50!) There are many corps that choose to remain quiet to the public during the winter months. If they deem it to be in the best interests of the corps, then who are we to question that decision?

At CV we have chosen to take a more "open book" approach to our marketing. It has worked well for us. That being said, our neighbor in purple chooses to remain silent...and it seems to work for them. Good for them! I am certainly not going to question their choices.

I understand the need as a fan to know what is going on, but...let's just let people run their organizations the way they choose and see what happens in June. At least that's my $.02.

Dan

Huh?? Do you mean combined age?

No, the drum majors for CV are old - you must think he is talking about the Spirit DM's

The beautiful thing about this leadership team is that I don't have to be more than a rookie to understand just how deep their love for this organization runs. Having one-on-one conversations with most, if not all, of these staff members has me more than convinced.

Have you marched Spirit? Or even under this leadership team? Just wondering.

There are still a lot of very good people on the leadership team at Spirit of Atlanta, but I don't think derbydog said anything about a leadership "team." Now I could be wrong, but I suspect that derbydog was talking about one person at the very top of the organization, a person who has run off several people whose love for the organization ran much deeper than hers. Right, derbydog?

Edited by oldsoprano