SOA '15

There is a FB Alumni closed group page, where the Board Pres. offers an explanation. Have heard second hand reports from staff that the MM's are in good spirits and ready to go for tonight.

They got their pre-show sweet tea, so they are ready. :-)

Spirit has been around since 1977 and to the best of my knowledge, has never a transportation issue before, so why can't some of us just accept that just like a cigar is sometimes just a cigar, a transportation issue is sometimes just a transportation issue? If they take the field with a dismal performance and are underprepared, maybe we will have some reasons to comment, but for now give them not the benefit of the doubt, but the benefit of their many years competing. One year out of finals does not necessarily mean the end of a corps and its integrity.

Spirit has been around since 1977 and to the best of my knowledge, has never a transportation issue before, so why can't some of us just accept that just like a cigar is sometimes just a cigar, a transportation issue is sometimes just a transportation issue? If they take the field with a dismal performance and are underprepared, maybe we will have some reasons to comment, but for now give them not the benefit of the doubt, but the benefit of their many years competing. One year out of finals does not necessarily mean the end of a corps and its integrity.

Actually they have had transportation issues before and most famously in 1977. They also had to wait 4 hours after a show last year for a flat tire. I don't think the kids will be unprepared. They all got some much needed extra sleep last night and are excited to present their show for the first time.

Um. They had one in July 1980.

yes they did. I was in Memphis that night for their performance following that tragedy.

The activity lost a great one in that tragedy...

Edited by JKT90

The activity lost a great one in that tragedy...RIP Jim Ott.

And he was only 30 years old. Who knows what great things he would have done if he was still around.

• Like 2

So no disguising anything, I have taken great issue with SOA’s admin/board starting with last year’s bad decision making.

That stated, them not being at the show in Louisville initially surprised me, but then I thought, I really should not be surprised at all.

I went to bed last night, and woke up this morning, trying to get the following questions and thoughts out of my head:

If a truck safety compliance issue is the real reason they missed their season opener, who

let that wait until the last minute? They have been in the same general area for over three weeks

in a huge metropolitan region where getting inspections, repairs, drivers, etc., would not be a problem.

Doesn’t quite make sense to me.

If there was a last minute equipment breakdown, then report that as fact. It leaves little to

no question and helps make related issues/consequences of the breakdown a bit easier to swallow.

If a driver issue, same.

If either of these two reasons, or something closely related is accurate, how did that

conversation go with the members? Especially those who are still rightfully apprehensive of things

based on 2014’s decision making.

How do you tell members they are missing their season opener? One in an amazing

stadium, in the south, probably close to a lot of family and friends, alumni, and fans?

How do you tell members that family and friends they were planning to see at the

show- well, that won’t be happening. While we can all agree that if anything, drum corps

members are strong, resilient, learn to roll with the punches, etc. . . . but your first show?

It plain and simple sucks and sucks hard. And if due to admin error? You can

never get that one back. There is only one show opener a year; second shows replacing

that as a default do not count. All the buzz? All the anticipation? All the emotional

pacing and talks to that point? And while vets may adapt better, what about the large

number of rookies? They have little to no experience with the tolls drum corps can place

on you mentally.

How much practice time was lost? Real practice time, with equipment? What toll does the

drive from ATL to Michigan have on the members?

How about those that paid to see 8 corps and saw 7? How did that phone call go with

Dan Acheson? Again, especially if admin error is to blame.

How does this effect any early season comparisons? Though they will see Crossmen, the

opportunity to compare to Troopers super early is gone.

I hope the corps kicks ### tonight. I hope that though missing the first show caused some consequences, the members don’t skip a beat (so to speak) and have their best run possible, all potential influences of missing the first show be dammed.

You do agree that all of your questions and thoughts would apply to any drum corps in this circumstance, don't you? Your opening statement makes if seem your suspiscions of administrative error or even sloth is high. I do think your statements are legit ones and I am also curious about many of them as well, however, my mind is more focused on the members perfoming well and having a good time at tonight's event.

Edited by yellvanguard