SOA '15

Guys, guys. Come on. They had a good thing going. Something wasn't right and caused the 11-13 team to all leave at the same time. Staffs do not do that when they are successful and being appreciated. So, they had gotten the corps back in three years in a row with shows that were successfully old school meets new school, staying enough in the Spirit wheel house to please alumni and new fans. Nearly brilliant and text book on how to rebuild a corps. Got the corps out of debt too from what I hear. Anybody seek those guys out? Why did they leave? JW and board then hire lame designers two years in a row because they do not know what good design is nor how to get it. JW may have been fine back in the day, but obviously has lost touch, or never had it. This will be hard to turn around any time soon. I really hate this for the members.

THIS. This is the problem with this design team: The "you can figure it out" kind of shows. No. Look at the successful shows, like Tilt, E=MC Squared, and even That One Second. NONE of these shows are a "you can figure it out" show. The weakness with this design team is definitely GE, and they simply aren't giving the kids what they need to max out their GE scores. I hate to see Spirit go down the same road they did last year, but unfortunately right now that's what it looks like. They definitely need to make the show more obvious.

If this were a case of "the kids are too good for this show," the performance scores would be higher than the rep scores. Which is quite the opposite. Good performance can also help GE. Give the show time.

Lifelong Spirit fan here. I first saw them in 1979 and was hooked. Hate seeing them struggle as I know the talent is there. I really would love to see and hear them return to their roots from 78-87 era. That deep southern Jazz is what hooked me and seems like that is what gets the biggest crowd response. They've had some good shows since but never been the same since the Petrushka season of 88.

With SCV he had 4 top 5 finishes with including 1 championship (tie with BD).

That doesn't quite tell the whole story. SCV was mired in (for them) mediocrity toward the end of Gail Royer's time and his successor's time. They hovered around 5-7 during that time. JW Koester takes over after 95, and the corps was on a path along fifth, third, second, and first.

I don't know to what extent a corps director has on a corps finish, but it would seem he hired some good folks. In fact, several posters have said that SCV 2015 fondly reminds them of those great late 90s shows that Koester had some influence on.

Maybe the magic is gone. But I can't imagine Spirit hiring a director with a better resume.

So are there plans for narration? changes to make the show accessible, beyond drill written to music? I seem to not be the only one struggling

to get what they are trying to do with this show.

Edited by recketscience

So are there plans for narration? changes to make the show accessible, beyond drill written to music? I seem to not be the only one struggling

to get what they are trying to do with this show.

Even then, it is done loosely. Will Pitts' work is incredible in this! Drew Solomonson has written a dud. Seems to be an overall design problem. Wonder what is going on in house to make that happen?

I was looking forward to hearing Spirit ever since I heard they were getting Kanstul brass. I have not been disappointed. They have such an amazing sound, especially from the low brass, that just blows the Yamaha and Jupiter corps out of the water.

I hope for Kanstul's sake this is their foot back into the drum corps door.

• Like 1