SOA '15

I was looking forward to hearing Spirit ever since I heard they were getting Kanstul brass. I have not been disappointed. They have such an amazing sound, especially from the low brass, that just blows the Yamaha and Jupiter corps out of the water.

I hope for Kanstul's sake this is their foot back into the drum corps door.

I'd love for Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment to adopt Kanstul horns. It would suit their sound really well.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to hearing Spirit ever since I heard they were getting Kanstul brass. I have not been disappointed. They have such an amazing sound, especially from the low brass, that just blows the Yamaha and Jupiter corps out of the water.

I hope for Kanstul's sake this is their foot back into the drum corps door.

So I can attempt to take you somewhat seriously, can you define what you mean by "amazing" and what you mean by "sound" as well as "blows out of the water"? Seriously.

I'd love for Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment to adopt Kanstul horns. It would suit their sound really well.

No thanks. Bloo has such a deep sound on Yamaha. For Spirit though, Kanstul horns just "work" for the sound they want. Hoping it reflects in scores.

I also never thought I would see the day someone asks for MORE narration...

Why sure, I'll feed the trolls...

Amazing - I can hear the tubas. Their sound is rounder and has more body and presence compared to the 10 pound Yamaha tuba and the Jupiter "paper thin brass" Quantum tuba. The Baritones and mellophones can cut through like the horn lines of the 90s. The trumpets have that signature sizzle that corps have been missing for many years.

Sound - see above.

Blows out of the water - I've heard corps after corps on Yamaha and Jupiter horns, and they have this stifled sound to them. Normally I cannot hear the tubas whatsoever, exceptions being Madison and Bluecoats, and expect to just hear synth bass to make up for this. I've played the Quantum and Yamaha tubas and they are really not very good horns. So I'm not surprised that synth bass is needed.

Oh, I also prefer the sound of G horns exclusively. Kanstul's Bb brass are simply cut down versions of their G horns, so they are designed for an outdoor arena. No 10 pound tuba, no matter how big a bell, is going to create a deep bass sound. This was proven back in the 1980s with the DEG Super Magnums and K-90s vs the 4/4 DEG Contras. With a weight of maybe 15 pounds at most, and a 19.5" bell, the Yamaha marching tuba to me is like a slightly larger belled variant of the pea-shooter DEG everyone hated but used anyway. Of course, Spirit purchased their horns through the Tama partnership, and so were able to purchase the (not listed on Kanstul's website) 4 valve 5/4 BBb marching tuba.

So if you don't like my reasoning for liking Spirit's sound (ie. Bringing the classic feel of a drum corps brass line... just in a different key), feel free to move on and troll elsewhere! I am simply showing my support for a corps that decided to go a different route and become the second WC corps to return to playing a 4 valve marching bass voice (BD System Blue being the other). The only thing I was missing at the end of their performance was the characteristic G overtone series. The brilliance and body were there, but no overtones!

• Like 1

No thanks. Bloo has such a deep sound on Yamaha. For Spirit though, Kanstul horns just "work" for the sound they want. Hoping it reflects in scores.

I also never thought I would see the day someone asks for MORE narration...

I hate narration. I didn't care for Cadets "And, that's what he said." stuff last year either.

I'm certain the directors of both corps will gladly accept the cheque with your large donation to purchase these, being the great fan that you are. :-)

• Like 1

Why sure, I'll feed the trolls...

Amazing - I can hear the tubas. Their sound is rounder and has more body and presence compared to the 10 pound Yamaha tuba and the Jupiter "paper thin brass" Quantum tuba. The Baritones and mellophones can cut through like the horn lines of the 90s. The trumpets have that signature sizzle that corps have been missing for many years.

Sound - see above.

Blows out of the water - I've heard corps after corps on Yamaha and Jupiter horns, and they have this stifled sound to them. Normally I cannot hear the tubas whatsoever, exceptions being Madison and Bluecoats, and expect to just hear synth bass to make up for this. I've played the Quantum and Yamaha tubas and they are really not very good horns. So I'm not surprised that synth bass is needed.

Oh, I also prefer the sound of G horns exclusively. Kanstul's Bb brass are simply cut down versions of their G horns, so they are designed for an outdoor arena. No 10 pound tuba, no matter how big a bell, is going to create a deep bass sound. This was proven back in the 1980s with the DEG Super Magnums and K-90s vs the 4/4 DEG Contras. With a weight of maybe 15 pounds at most, and a 19.5" bell, the Yamaha marching tuba to me is like a slightly larger belled variant of the pea-shooter DEG everyone hated but used anyway. Of course, Spirit purchased their horns through the Tama partnership, and so were able to purchase the (not listed on Kanstul's website) 4 valve 5/4 BBb marching tuba.

So if you don't like my reasoning for liking Spirit's sound (ie. Bringing the classic feel of a drum corps brass line... just in a different key), feel free to move on and troll elsewhere! I am simply showing my support for a corps that decided to go a different route and become the second WC corps to return to playing a 4 valve marching bass voice (BD System Blue being the other). The only thing I was missing at the end of their performance was the characteristic G overtone series. The brilliance and body were there, but no overtones!

Thanks for your response. You clearly know more details about the actual instrument manufactoring than I do. That stated, I do not hear the things in their sound you are hearing. On the two videos I have seen, their preview and Evansville, it is hard for me to hear what the Kanstul instruments are providing because of how bad the pitch, tone, balance, and blend are, at least on the video. While the Kanstuls may have the potential to allow for a better overall sound, there is no way that Spirit's sound is blowing BK's, PR's, BD's, SCV's, Crossmen's, BC's, Cavies, Trooper's, Boston's, etc. out of the water. Other than their ballad soloist, I hear noting I would call "amazing" or even good at this point. Regarding sound, I am hearing correct notes, but sounds that are not centered, round, nor characteristic of mature players. I hear edge and overtones fighting each other. I hear many blowing their pitches sharp. I hear weak embouchures trying to support more air than they can handle at this point (that can be a method toward eventual mature sounds in the hands of skilled instructors). I prefer B-flat instrument sounds, you prefer G. That's cool, but regardless of key (E-flat, C, D, etc.) good fundamental brass playing is good fundamental brass playing. I state all this is not because of some dislike I have for Spirit as a drum corps, quite the opposite. I am simply being honest about what I hear and trying to keep it it real.

One more point of clarification if you don't mind, what do you mean by "troll"?

Edited by westcoastblue

Thanks for your response. You clearly know more details about the actual instrument manufactoring than I do. That stated, I do not hear the things in their sound you are hearing. On the two videos I have seen, their preview and Evansville, it is hard for me to hear what the Kanstul instruments are providing because of how bad the pitch, tone, balance, and blend are, at least on the video. While the Kanstuls may have the potential to allow for a better overall sound, there is no way that Spirit's sound is blowing BK's, PR's, BD's, SCV's, Crossmen's, BC's, Cavies, Trooper's, Boston's, etc. out of the water. Other than their ballad soloist, I hear noting I would call "amazing" or even good at this point. Regarding sound, I am hearing correct notes, but sounds that are not centered, round, nor characteristic of mature players. I hear edge and overtones fighting each other. I hear many blowing their pitches sharp. I hear weak embouchures trying to support more air than they can handle at this point (that can be a method toward eventual mature sounds in the hands of skilled instructors). I prefer B-flat instrument sounds, you prefer G. That's cool, but regardless of key (E-flat, C, D, etc.) good fundamental brass playing is good fundamental brass playing. I state all this is not because of some dislike I have for Spirit as a drum corps, quite the opposite. I am simply being honest about what I hear and trying to keep it it real.

One more point of clarification if you don't mind, what do you mean by "troll"?

Brad T, I have to agree with westcoastblue on this one as hard as that is for me.

And, you have to admit, that last line is funny.

I have looked for several days now and cannot find a detailed description of Spirit's show. Saw them live tonight for the first time and think I just missed it somenow. Thanks in advance!

I am hearing similar comments about this years show and people not getting it. I am in the UK watching from the sidelines and hoping for upbeat positive news every day but not seeing much. Here is the official release about the show if that helps you any.

After any community has been devastated by disaster, those affected find themselves shocked and questioning how such a catastrophic event could happen to them. The community is in shock, as fear, hopelessness, and despair ensue in the disaster’s aftermath. A pervasive sense of loss consumes all of us as we begin the search for answers to “why us”, “how”, and “where do we go from here?” However, as is the case with all tragedies, there comes the opportunity to strengthen our community and the things that bind us together. Pain leads to struggle…struggle leads to perseverance…and perseverance leads to TRIUMPH! To honor our southern heritage, Tara’s Theme from Gone with the Wind binds our 2015 production together. Other musical selections include Donald Grantham’s Southern Harmony, Scott McAllister’s Full Pull and Cage Match, John Adams’ Wild Nights from Harmonium, and original music by William Pitts, Ben Pyles and Greg Tsalikis. Join the Spirit of Atlanta Drum & Bugle Corps as we embark on a journey through the heart of adversity, ignite the fire within, and rise…”Out of the Ashes.”