SOA '15

On a positive note, excited to see how they do tonight after 3-full days off plus today. Last show in the Midwest before they head out to Wyoming and then DATR.

Keep on pushing SOA!!

Unfortunately, they haven't had three rehearsal days, because Saturday was taken up with a parade and an off-day in Chicago, and they did laundry on Sunday, I believe. And today, they are housed about 90 minutes from the show site, so with their early step-off time that is dictated by last year's placement, they will probably be wrapping up rehearsal by early afternoon.

Spirit may not make the finals, as many are saying, but that doesn't mean they are terrible. The show is actually entertaining and you can see that the effort in marching and playing is there.

Edited by davidmccain
  • Like 1

I'm really excited to see them on the DATR stream on Saturday.

I am as well, they've been going back and forth with the Colts whom I was VERY impressed with on the Whitewater cast, if they're hanging with them right now, they're doing something right at the moment. We shall see.

It's funny that my kid said the same thing earlier today. They beat the Colts head to head so far this season. I think they have the colts again tonight. Have you seen Pacific Crest? Their show is pretty good this year too.

I think that by San Antonio, SOA will find themselves behind Colts and Pacific Crest. Those two shows just have such better design elements in them top to bottom. Though Spirit may fundamentally have a better brass line than both, the SOA desigers do not know how to use them. Colts and Crest beat them out with overall programmatic unity, visual design, and guard, hands down. Percussion in the same ballpark.

• Like 1

I agree with all the comments above. This is a fine show being performed by fine kids.

• Like 1

I think that by San Antonio, SOA will find themselves behind Colts and Pacific Crest. Those two shows just have such better design elements in them top to bottom. Though Spirit may fundamentally have a better brass line than both, the SOA desigers do not know how to use them. Colts and Crest beat them out with overall programmatic unity, visual design, and guard, hands down. Percussion in the same ballpark.

San Antonio is where Colts and Academy really improved last year and left Spirit behind. I agree that could happen again this year. Design is certainly an issue. I wasn't a big fan of Colt's Wizard of Pink Floyd theme last year but it made a lot more sense that Magnolia.

There is a pic on Instagram of Spirits guard that is not flattering. My read is "kiss our ###" to the critics. Maybe that is not the message, but that pose is in bad taste and nothing offends me!

• Like 1