SOA '15

I feel the same way about the other corps you mentioned. The draw, with SOA going on before several of those groups, made it more obvisous to me that the design is rough and the performance levels are starting to drag behind. Wish them all the best.

They have gotten the same basic draw at their big home show in ATL. I think it could hurt them if the other groups in their block change and improve and they do not. There really seems to be a lot of talent on that baby blue field, but alas, the show suffers from so many similar issues as last year. JW seemed to blow off theirrmore showy productions and stated that they were going to be more introspective this go 'round. . Well, he delivered just that, with barley a crack in the door for us to be able to look in and participate in the experience along with the members. I do enjoy more moments in this year's show than last. I am just so confused by how the staff did not learn from last year at all. Pulling for the kids.

• Like 2

So missed the show on the cast Saturday, just saw it now.

...........I kinda like it. I think visually they have a BUNCH of cleaning to do, but I think at least musically the show really works. That addition at the beginning is really beautiful, and that ballad is absolutely gorgeous. I think this is a big improvement over last year for sure. Not sure if it screams Spirit, but the more they're adding and changing, the more apparent the show is becoming I think. Company front at the end is just glorious. Will it make finals? More than likely not. I think if someone in the top 15 stalls out and they really pick up the back part of the season there's a slivers chance they could end up around 15th. Hornline sounds GREAT. Regardless of what happens in the off season, I hope they hold onto Will Pitts as an arranger, he's no joke. I think he has a bright future.

• Like 2

Randy,

I know your whole family is vested in SOA, I don't THINK he was trying to be rude in his post. It's valid, and most of us here are hoping for a late season surge. After the positive hype during the off season and the very secretive camps and finally the release of the "Out of the Ashes" show info I think a lot of Spirit fans were REALLY hoping to see them back in the finals. I know the kids can't work any harder or want it any more. They are amazing as always.

My post was in no way rude, just an opinion in which I am entitled to, like everyone else. I made a statement and if it offend you, then so be it.

Yes, I am hoping for a late season surge, it has happend before.

Jeopardy clue tonight, "This mythological creature is featured on Atlanta's seal, created in 1865 signifying it 'rising from the ashes' [paraphrased]" answer: the Phoenix. Thought it was a cool reference to SOA's production this year.

Edited by palmettomello
  • Like 1

The season is rapidly getting close to an end and I saw Spirit for the second time since their preview at the seasons beginning. Besides the pre show, some drill changes, and body movements, the show has not evolved very well. Of the world class shows in Opelika last night, all were on a different level than Spirit. I do not see how they beat Mandarins, but it was their home show. The drill was extremely dirty. The corps just seemed to walk along. The guard...two times they had some effect. In the preshow and the end with company front and ending. The problem was they cannot perform unison work. I don't think the staff have any design vision at all, including the director. I smell a change coming soon. I know, it's all about the kids. They are performing what is given to them. But you know, they want to win! I am such a Spirit fan and hate this for them. It seems the staff has blinders on. I think they could keep falling and end up 19th or 20th before all is said and done.

Man I hate hearing this.....again. Really thought they would place higher than last year.......

Just read that Spirit is taking on the two British members of Coastal Surge. They are on their way to meet up with them. Just when I bash them, they do something wonderful. Guilt much for me.

Take this for what it's worth (my typing what you're about to read)...I was at rehearsals yesterday in Opelika, and stayed through their run through. I like the show!! Horn line is loud, but not over playing (but, I am snare/quad guy, so...). During rehearsals, I noticed JW would go up to a member, put his around them and not knowing what he said, each one of the members laughed and smiled when he was finished speaking with them. During his talk after the run through, he was very complimentary and positive, and let them know their hard work is appreciated.

Afterwards, I met JW, and surprisingly we stood there and talked for about 20 minutes, we talked about the members and their positive attitude and work ethic, I asked him what are they hearing from the judges, and he was very open about all of that (that's another topic).

The conversation then shifted to longer term...He told me he sees the light at the end of tunnel. I asked why? Here's the basics of what he said: They have 23 age outs, that's it. They have 49 members that are between 16 - 17 years old....49! He also discussed the challenges of working with 16-17yo's as they are more timid, thinking too much instead of performing, and it takes a little longer for things to "sink in" (I assumed he was referring to drill/music, etc). They have 1 vet on the snare line, and they have a 16 year old, female rookie on the snare line. He flat out said, his goal and the goal of the staff right now is to ensure these members have a positive experience, and hopes they want to come back...He wants all of them back, this is basically a football team starting freshmen and sophomores with a couple of seniors sprinkled in. The goal is have these members all return for the next few years, that is what his vision is and what he said he is building for, not today, but for long term. In the here and now, some of the things I observed during rehearsal made sense...yes they are working them, duh, but they are not being overly critical, that I could see, the staff all being upbeat, positive, encouraging and really focusing on getting the members to believe in who they are...worthy of marching with this organization and helping them mature from a mental standpoint.

So, that was my take away...we then discussed some alumni stuff, and I gave him a hard time about how difficult it must have been to go from Phantom in 08 to SCV in 09 :augen51:

Super nice man, very open and honest and I sensed a genuine caring, coupled with a long term plan>>>MEMBER RETENTION.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 2

Not sure if Atlanta CV really draws much away from SOA membership/auditions. Having a young corps has its challenges and no guarantees that high schoolers will stay through college. I hear most WC corps have most members coming from outside of their region. SOA will need a stronger draw nationally to increase the selectivity for membership. I would love to see SOA get back to its glory days.

• Like 1