SOA '15

Drat was hoping the hometown crowd would give them a boost. My son was there in the stands and said Crown was pretty amazing.

They were and so was Spirit!

My daughter is one of those 16 - 17 yr olds. 16 when contracted, turned 17 on move in day. I love how SOA has taken these youngsters so to speak under there wing and introduced them to DCI. A bad marching experience at that age could really turn someone against this DCI program. I think at SOA she has not only improved her skills, she has learned what it means to be a part of a valued part of a group. There is more to DCI than being top 12. I am like every parent I want to see them win, but DCI is more than winning. I for one hope that my daughter makes the commitment to SOA and helps build the program. I for one have been happy with the admin, the instructors and the process.

• Like 5

My daughter is one of those 16 - 17 yr olds. 16 when contracted, turned 17 on move in day. I love how SOA has taken these youngsters so to speak under there wing and introduced them to DCI. A bad marching experience at that age could really turn someone against this DCI program. I think at SOA she has not only improved her skills, she has learned what it means to be a part of a valued part of a group. There is more to DCI than being top 12. I am like every parent I want to see them win, but DCI is more than winning. I for one hope that my daughter makes the commitment to SOA and helps build the program. I for one have been happy with the admin, the instructors and the process.

THIS.

In the end, this is what DCI is really about. Most of the top 12 are marching older kids. The top 5 are mostly college students, many doing music ed or music performance degrees. Some of those corps are averaging 20 to 21 years of age. So scores and placements must be taken lightly when looking at the big picture. I hope the members of Spirit do not let scores and placements hinder their fun, learning, and their performances. They have a fantastic show and people are entertained by their talents.

• Like 1

Maybe there isn't more than what we assume it to be.

In 2008 spirit was 15th, 2009 they were 17th, 2010 16th, 2011 back in finals! You know what the difference in 2011 was? Exactly what was discussed here previously. The staff is creating an experience for these kids to enjoy learning and being a part of the "spirit family". Trust me that bond shared and pride felt towards the corps is worth much more than any trophy in the case. Sure there will always be "ring chasers". However the kids that stay will get to witness the growth and success of being the comeback kids.

• Like 1

Regarding the new members from Surge. Wondering if they will try to incorporate them into the show this late into season or will they just rehearse and tour with them.

Regarding the new members from Surge. Wondering if they will try to incorporate them into the show this late into season or will they just rehearse and tour with them.

They told me they were just alternates for now as to be expected, but I fully expect they well get instruction on the show just in case. They seemed very happy just to have a place to "land".

When we took in some Teal Sound folks late in that season, they generally assisted with props and field setup. I assume they marched in Finals Retreat that year.

That's great. Hopefully if they are not age outs, they will return and add more international flavor to SOA.

• Like 1

That's great. Hopefully if they are not age outs, they will return and add more international flavor to SOA.

She looked pretty young and he looked a little older. I don't think age outs yet; should have asked.

They ALL look so young these days. Sigh!

"What a drag it is getting old" (Rolling Stones)