SOA '15

He has 4 posts on DCP. I wouldn't worry too much.

You're right. You need over 3000 post about nothing to think you know what you are talking about. People can't handle the truth.

Spirit will be back. They had a great season with a young corps. Great sound, good show, and overall I love what the staff did with these kids from beginning to end. Work for the next step for summer 2016 and let's see another great show! Love those new horns.

You're right. You need over 3000 post about nothing to think you know what you are talking about. People can't handle the truth.

"The Truth" -- That was that poster's opinion, as is what you posted. The REAL truth is the joy I see on those kids faces when they rehearse and perform. The REAL truth is the passion I see in the staff and instructors inspiring those kids to give it their all, not only on the field, but after the season is over. The REAL truth is the family and friends who love and support this Corps and these men and women by volunteering, donating, and cheering them on.

And, sadly, the REAL truth is there are a group of whiners who refuse to get behind the Corps, for whatever reason, and it's those individuals who, as much as anything else, are keeping Spirit from becoming the Corps we all know it can and WILL become.

As I said a few posts back -- solution or problem? You decide.

• Like 1

"The Truth" -- That was that poster's opinion, as is what you posted. The REAL truth is the joy I see on those kids faces when they rehearse and perform. The REAL truth is the passion I see in the staff and instructors inspiring those kids to give it their all, not only on the field, but after the season is over. The REAL truth is the family and friends who love and support this Corps and these men and women by volunteering, donating, and cheering them on.

And, sadly, the REAL truth is there are a group of whiners who refuse to get behind the Corps, for whatever reason, and it's those individuals who, as much as anything else, are keeping Spirit from becoming the Corps we all know it can and WILL become.

As I said a few posts back -- solution or problem? You decide.

You have to identify a problem always to fix anything. Recognizing the problem is half the battle. Did they recognize the problem? Visual? There are real bright spots and people on board. That Caption Head guy with the large belly is a positive whatever his name is. He knows how to teach I think. I watched them in Indy and if he stays they should improve. Just gotta recognize what to do with the other people who don't fit in and need to go.

I agree that sometimes someone simply has to point out the problem, or at least facts so that some educated state of mind can make informed plans for change, if change is even desired. It really isn't a matter of being part of the solution or part of the problem. That ideal sounds right if it fits your current state, but is a flawed statement in most any circumstance. I get our loyalties and understandable bias, but some times someone just has to state the truth, as unappealing as it may be.

So I will be that guy to some degree.

This was their lowest placement since 1996. It has been 19 years since the corps was lower than 17th. And, I feel I must point out that drum corps is only getting better, so whatever changes that may have been effective ten or twenty years ago for improving placement, those tactics are probably no longer as effective.

Additional considerations:

The board kept much of the design team from 2014.

This corps seemed more talented in 2015 than in 2014.

They did not seem to clean nor change very noticeably since Minneapolis.

The show was IMO the weakest offering in world class regarding coordination and programmatic through line, and probably should

have fairly finished lower at least in GE, but their talent level was probably at least that of Academy and Troopers.

The claims of amazing Kanstul brass sounds and a return to true SOA style completely alluded me each time I saw them live or on video. I felt that announcing that you are moving away from what was working to something more introspective and calling your show "Out of the Ashes" was a bold, audacious, misguided act that was a display sign of internal issues.

So what now?

We sometimes forget that they don't have to change a thing. It is not for me or anyone else to say what they should or should not do do short of treating the members well.

I do hope the members shared smiles and accomplished performances, made new friendships that will last a life time and then some. I hope the honor of hard work and stick-to-it-ness gains each member life long tenacity and self-worth. There are a lot of kudos to be spread in those regards.

Spirit does not have to be competitive, now nor ever. They do not have to do shows we get, enjoy, or want to see again. These groups are run by boards that can do as they like. While DCI is there to support and promote, the integrity and vision of the board ultimately determines what actions and directions the corps takes.

I do not know of more than very few drum corps, much less an iconic one such as SOA, ever surviving being non-competitive, elusive, and myopic. Of course surviving can be defined differently by different people.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1

I agree that sometimes someone simply has to point out the problem, or at least facts so that some educated state of mind can make informed plans for change, if change is even desired. It really isn't a matter of being part of the solution or part of the problem. That ideal sounds right if it fits our state, but is a flawed statement in most any circumstance. I get our loyalties and understandable bias, but some times someone just has to state the truth, as unappealing as it may be.

So I will be that guy to some degree.

This was their lowest placement since 1996. It has been 19 years since the corps was lower than 17th. And, I feel I must point out that drum corps is only getting better, so whatever changes that may have been effective ten or twenty years ago for improving placement, those tactics are probably no longer as effective.

Additional considerations:

The board kept much of the design team from 2014.

This corps seemed more talented in 2015 than in 2014.

They did not seem to clean nor change very noticeably since Minneapolis.

The show was IMO the weakest offering in world class regarding coordination and programmatic through line, and probably should

have fairly finished lower at least in GE, but their talent level was probably at least that of Academy and Troopers.

The claims of amazing Kanstul brass sounds and a return to true SOA style completely alluded me each time I saw them live or on video.

I felt that announcing that your are moving away from what was working to something more introspective and calling your show "Out of

the Ashes" was a bold, audacious, misguided act that was a display sign of internal issues.

So what now?

We sometimes forget that they don't have to change a thing. It is not for me or anyone else to say what they should or should not do do short of treating the members well.

I do hope the members shared smiles and accomplished performances, made new friendships that will last a life time and then some. I hope the honor of hard work and stick-to-it-ness gains each member life long tenacity and self-worth. There are a lot of kudos to be spread in those regards.

Spirit does not have to be competitive, now nor ever. They do not have to do shows we get, enjoy, or want to see again. These groups are run by boards that can do as they like. While DCI is there to support and promote, the integrity and vision of the board ultimately determines what actions and directions the corps takes.

I do not know of more than very few drum corps, much less an iconic one such as SOA, ever surviving being non-competitive, elusive, and myopic. Of course surviving can be defined differently by different people.

Well said. I've watched this organization closely for the past two years and they are certainly going down hill because of the administration's direction and their choice in hiring especially in the guard and visual staff. One of the other parents told me that she thought the "team" is coming back again next year which is disappointing at best. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. And I agree, the improvements that they made since Minnesota was "lipstick on a pig." Hey Admin, here's a show idea for next year... "On the outside looking in." It's about the world watching you screw up again and you watching finals from the sidelines. You need a new board of directors.

• Like 1

brassman88, undercoversteve, westcoastblue: What have YOU done to support Spirit this season?

Brassman88........more like ### man. You are just looking foolish and rude. Do you know his background and what he does?