SOA '15

I agree narration would help. Also better guard work. Sounds like another unproven caption head. I have heard they spend way to much time rolling around on the ground.

I agree narration would help. Also better guard work. Sounds like another unproven caption head. I have heard they spend way to much time rolling around on the ground.

Yes, they roll around. Then the high brass sits down on the field so you can see the guard feature staged back-field (I don't know why) and they roll some more. I know if sounds like I am being negative but that's what they do. I am not a big fan of drill writing that is for brass/percussion only and then they look for places to kind of fill in the guard. When the guard actually fits in with the drill, they roll some more. Sometimes they roll without equipment. So, negative GE happens. The good things get over shadowed. I'm sure the color guard caption head is good at getting the guard to show emotion, but that is not what they need. They need some drill. They need a purpose to be out there. There are opportunities for the guard to really magnify what the brass line is doing especially when they are doing these impressive pushes towards the audience with a good solid wall of sound. But, you really get nothing. And that sucks.

Edited by davidmccain

Yes sir nothing like great unison flag work or toss to accent a brass hit!

• Like 2

The positive is the fact that it's still early in the season and changes can be made to improve the show. The negative is, the fact that everyone else is making changes and fine tuning their product as well. So, in essence it's like playing catch up out of the gate. Just curious, what is the drum corps history/background of Spirit's current director?

As mentioned earlier I have not seen Spirit this year, but I am really pulling for them to do well. It's good for DCI when so many iconic corps such as Spirit does well. I first saw them in 1978! After that night I knew that I had to march in a drum corps!

The positive is the fact that it's still early in the season and changes can be made to improve the show. The negative is, the fact that everyone else is making changes and fine tuning their product as well. So, in essence it's like playing catch up out of the gate. Just curious, what is the drum corps history/background of Spirit's current director?

The current director has a fine and successful drum corps pedigree, most notably with the SCV organization, but he's not the problem. The problem is higher up, IMO.

• Like 1

The current director has a fine and successful drum corps pedigree, most notably with the SCV organization, but he's not the problem. The problem is higher up, IMO.

Edited by davidmccain
  • Like 1

With SCV he had 4 top 5 finishes with including 1 championship (tie with BD).

From Spirit's Website - - -

J.W. Koester (Corps Director), a long-time educator, consultant, adjudicator, pageantry professional & percussionist since 1971, has many years of management experience behind him as he returns for his second year as Spirit of Atlanta’s Corps Director.

Koester has performed with such groups as the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps (during which time the Corps won 3 DCI World Championships & 5 Best Percussion Section Awards), the San Jose State University Marching Band, and the West Valley College Wind & Percussion Ensembles, as well as numerous Community Theater Musical Productions.

In his years as a director, designer, instructor, consultant, & manager he has worked with several top, award-winning, Drum & Bugle Corps, including the Santa Clara Vanguard, the Glassmen, the Vanguard Cadets, and the Phantom Regiment, as well as numerous Marching Bands, Winter Guards & Winter Percussion Ensembles in California, Nevada & Hawaii, including the 6-time World Champion San Jose Raiders Winter Guard. Koester has over 20 years experience as an adjudicator of Marching Band, Drum & Bugle Corps, Winter Guard and Winter Percussion Festivals & Competitions throughout the Western United States (including the State Championships for Arizona & Colorado).

Koester has also served as Drum Corps International Division II & III National Coordinator.

Koester works and resides in California with his wife Roxanne and has a daughter, Laura, and a son, Joshua.

Nice score jump tonight! Guard costuming looks nice to me, really fits the theme.

So thoughts on this corps, I don't think it's a lost cause like a bunch of people are already making it out to be. Listening to this show IMO they have the bones of something that they can make into something great. Musically I think it has a lot of potential, that ballad is a diamond in the rough right now IMO. The closing moments of the show starting with the company front as well. I really like that. I don't know what else they have planned, but I think this show has the potential to be layered into something really solid. Brass can be molded into a great asset to the corps to me, music GE too. Percussion sounds solid. Can't tell anything guard or drill wise. I think musically the theme comes across. Dark opener, emotional ballad, happy closer. Not a new idea, but Cascades took a 4 seasons show last year that could have been cookie cutter boring and made it into something truly special. I don't see why Spirit can't do that with the Dark to Light idea, we'll see where they go with this. Reminds me a lot of their 2002 show now that I think about it..........in a good way.

It's the first week, we have a LONG time to go people. They're still my dark horse, that hasn't changed.

Edited by DrumManTx