Narration attack!

I ran across a YT video of the LSU Concert Band and found this nugget. It's Claude Smith's "God of Our Fathers."

But...

After the soft, haunting brass intro, the solo flute is interrupted with NARRATION. It doesn't go on throughout the piece, but it's terribly distracting---and disrespectful to Smith's original intent of the single voice. This reminds me of "The Most Annoying Article Ever," which I wrote for MMA. I can't understand why anyone would "disrupt" such great literature this way.

Seriously, am I getting out of touch? In my circle, it's 50-50. I really don't think so, given what happened in Lucas Oil last August during retreat (3rd place). Oh...ditto 2007 (2nd place).

Check it. By the way, the band is very good, and the added brass at the end? Reminds me of DCI's en masse stuff:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBN_W7jLTE

Oh, on a witchy-with-a-capital-B-note, I'm stunned that Louisiana STATE U. was "allowed" to perform this as was done. Didn't the ACLU come running in to save everyone from themselves?

Not sure what the reference to The Cadets is besides their bronze medal in 2014 and silver in 2007. For you anti-narrationistas, the Cadets will be running and gunning this season and not talking so another group can be the the punching bag for that anti-narration Crew.

Not sure what the reference to The Cadets is besides their bronze medal in 2014 and silver in 2007. For you anti-narrationistas, the Cadets will be running and gunning this season and not talking so another group can be the the punching bag for that anti-narration Crew.

The Cadets do it the worst and I think, the most often (seriously, GH doesn't understand how to tastefully use any electronics in general. Get that man an advisor) so obviously they're going to end up being the punching bag for the anti-narrationists on DCP.

Me, I dont mind narration as long as it's tastefully done. The Cadets definitely do not use it tastefully.

• Like 2