Jet packs, G bugles and supersonic drill. What we might see this year

DCI.org interviewed marching members from across the country during (and after) the 2005 summer tour. Allot of the marching members were asked to "Describe what you think a typical DCI show will look in 2015."

Coming up on the 2015 season, Who do you think made the closest prediction? Obviously we probably won't be seeing jet packs (just yet), but what do you all think we might see on the field this summer that is new, creative, and or innovative?

Santa Clara vanguard - center snare

"Well, the snares will have the drums hover over every dot and electronics will once and for all prevail!"

Phantom Regiment - mellophone

"Though I think that corps will generally be the same, just more inventive, I'll throw out an idea that we were tossing around at camp this past weekend just for fun. Everyone on the field either has a jet pack or one of those two-wheel motorized-scooter things and you just plug your coordinates in it and then all you have to do is play while it scoots you around!"

Bluecoats - mellophone section leader

"Robots and 3-D drill."

Carolina Crown - guard

"More electronics, hopefully no woodwinds. Electric guitars maybe"

Spirit - snare/percussion section leader

"It will be exactly the same except with more fans, and televised on ESPN!"

Cavaliers - guard

"Probably 200 member corps all doing shows with flying cars and lots of pyrotechnics."

Madison Scouts - mellophone

"Rocket packs = 3-D drill."

Bluecoatss - front ensemble

"This is a difficult one. Original music will be more popular. Faster tempos. Harder drill. More ensemble weapon features in guard. Maybe props will make a surge back. Music will be far harder."

Carolina Crown - mello

"I don't think I could imagine what it might be like in 15 years. I'm sure the same could be said about the members of 15 years ago about today's shows. I do think that it will be more musical, more visually demanding, overall more effective, and whether we all like it or not, include electronics and the unthinkable -- saxophones!"

Crossmen - cymbal line

"Describe what you think a typical DCI show will look in 2015. Fairly close to what I see on the field today. There is too much tradition in drum corps to allow it to go much further than what it is now.

DCI has made the activity great, and I believe that people will begin to see that drum corps is different in itself, and deep down I think they will keep it pretty similar to what it is like right now."

Cadets - mello

"I think it will be pretty similar to what you'll see in 2005: Some corps with a more progressive approach, some that are still a little more traditional, some in B-flat, some in G, some with amps, some with none. But they're all still going to blow your faces off!"

Capitol Regiment - trumpet section leader

"I cant even imagine how fast they will be marching. Even though I dont agree with this, I see props added to add to GE. I dont really see any changes with the age-out rule. I dont think our bodies would be able to last if we were much older."

And here is what actually happened: trombones. The future, where does it come from?

Waffles will be the mandatory breakfast on all food trucks.

• Like 1

I'd seriously start spending money on it again if the rule book was turned back to about 2005. As it is now - I'm done.