When was the last time this was discussed?

I spend a small fortune through Friends of DCI for my tickets, hotel and plane tickets etc to go to Indy every year. My butt is in my seat all three nights all night long (though the encore on Saturday). Thursday I'm in my seat by 3PM at the latest. In Allentown I'm in my seat for the National Anthem both nights. Any other shows I can get to I'm in my seat from start to finish.

While I would like to hang out and watch some warm-ups, I'm not going to do that at the cost of missing any field performances. I don't understand the folks who spend all that money and then just show up for the last few corps.

• Like 2

Forgive me, but I can't exactly tell what your central point is here. I'd appreciate a clarification on your part.

The corps that are performing when "everyone" is in the lot are not, at all, less relevant to the activity just because they don't draw people from the lot to the stands. This is a canard of the highest level, IMO. And it also shows lack of support for the corps on the field by DCI, IMO. If DCI limited access to warmups they would be defacto supporting all of the corps on the field. That DCI allows fans to witness warmups without requiring a ticket purchase takes money out of their own pockets!

Which would a top-5 corps prefer: having witnesses to their warm ups or the revenue from ticket sales?

Maybe you're saying DCI should implement such a rule to support the performing corps, or maybe you're saying that those corps don't deserve that support because they don't put BITS instead of in the lot.

I really can't tell from your post.

BTW, IMO money IS the at the center of this discussion, and is at the center of most discussions involving drum corps.

Im not saying any of those thing but you last sentence does say it MONEY. Yes it is in the center of it. When you see empty seats when lower corps are on or in many cases practically empty stadiums ( ask OC corps how many they perform in front of ) It send s very loud message of lack of support. Does this make anyone less relevant? O don't think so but when some boast wanting equal equality within the activity, money, support, it comes down to visual and tangible support. Without it , shows the opposite.

I used the lot as an example

There has been aspects of the activity WGI, DCI< DCA over the years and debated with those making decisions if it should continue, like Indiv. and E . If corps dont want to participate does this not show a lack of interest? YES, I think it does.That was just an example and don't need stats on that ( just an example ) but it's the same with shows noone shows up at.

All I'm saying and agreeing with you is YES these corps are very relevant to the activity, how about showing DCI this and support them.

• Like 1

Sez one: I don't understand the folks who spend all that money and then just show up for the last few corps.

Sez another: Since these folks "spend all that money", it might have to do with their right to do what they want.

Sez me: For many homers, parochial thinking doesn't just apply to churches.

Edited by xandandl

Since these folks "spend all that money", it might have to do with their right to do what they want.

yes , you are totally right except these are many of the same people then who go to the defense of the little guy and dont understand why there's a lack of equality. IMO you have to support something to see it thrive within a bigger picture and really send a message home how relevant they are.

• Like 1

Since these folks "spend all that money", it might have to do with their right to do what they want.

Didn't say that they didn't have the right to do whatever they want, just said that I don't understand it.

Didn't say that they didn't have the right to do whatever they want, just said that I don't understand it.

Don't recall every reading where anyone was curious why paying customers spend their whole show experience inside the stadium. If you really don't understand it and do not want others (like moi) to feel that your implying that they should be in the stadium, don't say anything.

Edited by Ghost

Don't recall every reading where anyone was curious why paying customers spend their whole show experience inside the stadium. If you really don't understand it and do not want others (like moi) to feel that your implying that they should be in the stadium, don't say anything.

Sorry - I thought this was a forum to exchange thoughts and opinions. My bad.

Wow.

Pretty harsh, don't'cha think?

I don't understand the attraction to the lot, either, but to each his own.

I do understand that cloistering off the lot and/or admitting only with a "Lot Ticket" would put more BITS earlier, thereby supporting the corps that are performing on the field.

Sorry - I thought this was a forum to exchange thoughts and opinions. My bad.

It is 144 and please keep posting, but as an older dude, I like everyone to have the freedom to do what they want with their time and money without others telling/implying to them (minus the gov.) what they should do. If I read your initial thoughts wrong I'm sorry, but in this case I don't think so.