Housing: the corps killer?

Renegades were banned from DCA after something happened at their Hotel housing site. Would have been even worse if they had found a virgin...

:spitting:

• Like 1

Sabers ran there for years

Cool... was a less anal era....

Great points here,...............the whole overnight, sleeping, except for the "state of emergency" stuff, is not legal by most building codes, and as such, many insurance companies fight paying claims related to these types of circumstances,...........................which brings the need to charge a fee to cover a special rider, and/or other additional costs,.................I am guessing the whole gym floor, sleeping bag/air mattress style of tour will eventually have to change,.............to what? I don't know,...........college dorms maybe?

• Like 1

Great points here,...............the whole overnight, sleeping, except for the "state of emergency" stuff, is not legal by most building codes, and as such, many insurance companies fight paying claims related to these types of circumstances,...........................which brings the need to charge a fee to cover a special rider, and/or other additional costs,.................I am guessing the whole gym floor, sleeping bag/air mattress style of tour will eventually have to change,.............to what? I don't know,...........college dorms maybe?

Which is where we have come full circle as an activity. Most corps stayed in dorms at the first several DCI championships, one of the draws about using Whitewater and (somewhat) Cornell.

Now many corps spend at least some part of championship week in Indy in a motel/hotel since schools are unavailable until at least the weekend.

I had one administrator at a local district complain about a corps that stayed there over 10 years ago and trashed their school and didn't pay a penny for damages or for the facility itself.

They will NEVER EVER let a drum corps use their facility again (Yes that corps still exsists today). How do you fight that?

And who could blame that administrator or that school district? Anyone who invited a guest into their home and that guest trashed their home and wouldn't pay a penny to compensate would probably never let that person (or anyone associated with that person) stay in their home again - rightfully so.

How do you fight that? You really don't - burnt bridges. Probably best you can do is try to convince the district that it was through the actions of the individual group not all groups - but good luck with that.

This is a very enlightening thread. I never imagined what a major undertaking this is. My hat is off to all the folks who manage to accomplish this herculean feat.

That's interesting in that it contradicts an earlier statement by someone that insurance typically covers sleeping in gyms. But the building code issue hasn't come up yet. That may vary from place to place. Worse, most school administrators may not have any idea whether the codes allow it, which means they are unlikely to approve the use if they think of that - or if they have that point put in their ear by someone opposed to the plan.

That's interesting in that it contradicts an earlier statement by someone that insurance typically covers sleeping in gyms. But the building code issue hasn't come up yet. That may vary from place to place. Worse, most school administrators may not have any idea whether the codes allow it, which means they are unlikely to approve the use if they think of that - or if they have that point put in their ear by someone opposed to the plan.

Just thought of local fire codes when reading this..... So many people in a gym or school when awake is one thing but sleeping may be something else. Can also affect the issue of turning the lights off because of the safety issue getting out "just in case".

Since Day 1, this component of DCI has been essential to 'making it all work.' No question. However, also since Day 1, your local public school district has NOT been in the hotel business. It's that simple.

We've been lucky all these years.

• Like 1

Since Day 1, this component of DCI has been essential to 'making it all work.' No question. However, also since Day 1, your local public school district has NOT been in the hotel business. It's that simple.

We've been lucky all these years.

Maybe not in name, but since the local public school district got the benefit of:

1. Show proceeds

2. Band booster involvement

3. Marching member education through clinics and observation

band directors have as much, or more, clout in negotiating that space as the sports teams. Problem is that, when it comes to negotiating with the administration for space, most band directors act like they are Funky Winkerbean and most sport coaches think they are Vince Lombardi.

The issues today are that there is the same demand for space in a shorter summer period, and liability lawyers have many scared to death.

The case is stronger if schools looked at it as education instead of hotel rent.

Edited by garfield