SCV 2015

They certainly have been trending towards medal contention the last 5 years:

2010: 7th

2011: 6th

2012: 5th

2013: 4th

2014: 4th

But like others have already stated, there's a lot of stubborn company up at the top (dare I say competitive inertia!). Since 1992 the Cadets haven't finished any lower than 5th (wow!). Also since 1992 the Blue Devils haven't finished any lower than 4th (just insane...). Nothing has occurred to suggest those streaks will be ending this season. Mix in new powers like Carolina Crown who have been a top 5 corps since 2008 and it has become crazy tough to medal.

Hope is certainly not lost though as the Bluecoats showed last year. An extremely well designed show with a dash of innovation and a highly talented group of performers to execute it is a recipe for success.

The success of the Vanguard Cadets and the rise of SCV in the standings the last 5 years shows they've been successful in developing and recruiting talent, so that part of the recipe seems to be coming together. They have a stellar instructional (and leadership) staff that has championship experience so they certainly have a team capable of designing something top notch. If they can now pair up a championship caliber show design with the growing talent base they appear to have cultivated, a top 3 ranking seems feasible. They've played it safe the last 3 years and while they have created beautiful productions with recognizable music that many have enjoyed I wonder if this is the season where they take some bigger risks. I've enjoyed their recent productions but it seems we're due for something different from them. And if they produce something innovative (like the Bluecoats did last year) that could be just enough to crack the top 3. Taking more risks can certainly backfire too but as they say no risk, no reward.

Extremely eager to learn what they have in store for us in 2015 and here's to hoping they can take it to the next level!

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 2

I would love to see SCV in the top three but my gosh it's truly difficult. The top 5 is really competitive right now. BD out of the top two....NO WAY!! Last time they were 3rd was 9 years ago. You don't score a record score and all of a sudden drop to third or forth. Not BD. It's their game. If you beat BD then you are champs.

I personally think that Cadets might move down, but it is still too early to predict, as most winter predictions are. Blue devils will, obviously, stay in medal territory. I would also like for Bluecoats to stay in medal territory, but also too early seeing as they have not announced their show yet. Cadets have "announced" their show with George Hopkins explaining the concept in their past camp video. Again, too early to predict show placings, but I would really like for SCV to go into medal territory.

I love how it's always the easy thing to do to move Cadets "down" even though they've been in the top 6 more than some other corps. To each his own. I personally think Cadets will not be moving down, but moving up instead. Although the Bluecoats had the show of the year last year, I think they will be the corps to move down if SCV will be moving up. Time will tell.

I love how it's always the easy thing to do to move Cadets "down" even though they've been in the top 6 more than some other corps. To each his own. I personally think Cadets will not be moving down, but moving up instead. Although the Bluecoats had the show of the year last year, I think they will be the corps to move down if SCV will be moving up. Time will tell.

Agreed.

SCV has been IMO a snooze-fest for the past 3 years. Don't see them moving up until the design gets well out of the safe zone. (Which hopefully they do real soon now -- I *miss* the SCV that actually dared to be on the....wait for it...vanguard of show design.) The only thing I've really enjoyed has been the drill writing.

• Like 1

SCV has been IMO a snooze-fest for the past 3 years. Don't see them moving up until the design gets well out of the safe zone. (Which hopefully they do real soon now -- I *miss* the SCV that actually dared to be on the....wait for it...vanguard of show design.) The only thing I've really enjoyed has been the drill writing.

2011 a very innovative and underrated show IMO

Give me an SCV 1998 or 99 again, and my heart will burst. I miss THAT SCV.

• Like 5