SCV 2015

SCV breaking 80 first for the first time in as long as I can remember! WOOOO

https://instagram.com/p/4njw-tKPII/ (not mine)

"Spark" of Invention! :)

There have been some people complaining about Bluecoats' show because it doesn't have any melody except for in the ballad. Am I crazy or is this SCV show suffering from the same thing?

Atleast the Bluecoats show makes a little sense... Everything they're doing on the field is matching the theme of "moving sound." SCV's show is full of sounds of electricity... and that's pretty much it. I know what SCV's theme is and I can see how their ballad ties into it (obviously), but I personally don't think SCV is making their theme obvious enough on the field.

• Like 1

There have been some people complaining about Bluecoats' show because it doesn't have any melody except for in the ballad. Am I crazy or is this SCV show suffering from the same thing?

Atleast the Bluecoats show makes a little sense... Everything they're doing on the field is matching the theme of "moving sound." SCV's show is full of sounds of electricity... and that's pretty much it. I know what SCV's theme is and I can see how their ballad ties into it (obviously), but I personally don't think SCV is making their theme obvious enough on the field.

Oh man, what they are doing is pretty cool. To address your first concern, I'd say that in my opinion the first three movements all have melody. The second one not as much, but its still humable, but the first one is all melody. Nikola Tesla, the inspiration of the show, devoted his life to electricity. I mean, he basically ruled at analog circuit design. The first movement musically is all about invention. You take something made, deconstruct it, and then put it back together better. The piece is presented in its original form, followed by variations, each weirder than the last, before finally putting it back together again with much more flair. In the 8 trumpet part, you can see the lines folding and separating, one at a time initially, then more later, before they finally join together to make something new (which looks pretty similar to two resistors imo). The second movement SCV has said is reminiscent of the X-Ray. These high energy beams in my opinon are perfectly captured by the music. The closer is the least cohesive in my opinion, although after hearing it a few times, I rather like the "melody". Its definitely music you have to hear a few times to really enjoy, which i'm actually not a huge fan of corps doing that, but when given lemons, train your tastebuds to enjoy the sour flavor.

Oh man, what they are doing is pretty cool. To address your first concern, I'd say that in my opinion the first three movements all have melody. The second one not as much, but its still humable, but the first one is all melody. Nikola Tesla, the inspiration of the show, devoted his life to electricity. I mean, he basically ruled at analog circuit design. The first movement musically is all about invention. You take something made, deconstruct it, and then put it back together better. The piece is presented in its original form, followed by variations, each weirder than the last, before finally putting it back together again with much more flair. In the 8 trumpet part, you can see the lines folding and separating, one at a time initially, then more later, before they finally join together to make something new (which looks pretty similar to two resistors imo). The second movement SCV has said is reminiscent of the X-Ray. These high energy beams in my opinon are perfectly captured by the music. The closer is the least cohesive in my opinion, although after hearing it a few times, I rather like the "melody". Its definitely music you have to hear a few times to really enjoy, which i'm actually not a huge fan of corps doing that, but when given lemons, train your tastebuds to enjoy the sour flavor.

I've given it quite a few views now so I don't think unfamiliarity is an issue. I'm very familiar with Pure Imagination as well as the music in their closer as it is music that Phantom Regiment used in one of their shows (I'm blanking on which one).

While I am understanding the show a little better after your explanation, I'm not sure the audience is getting any of that at all... With Crown, you don't really have to look past their opener to know what their show is about. BD makes their theme quite obvious from their enormous storybooks and in your face fairy tale characters. The Cadets hit you in the head over and over again with the number 10 on their props, in their ballad, etc. The Bluecoats are a little iffy if you don't know their show title. Boston Crusaders make theirs pretty obvious, as does Phantom Regiment with their Eiffel Tower set in the opener (though theirs is a bit ambiguous too). My point is, most if not all these corps have made their theme very accessible. Vanguard... They call their show the Spark of Invention but all anyone is going to see are Tesla coils and think this show is about them.

• Like 1

I've given it quite a few views now so I don't think unfamiliarity is an issue. I'm very familiar with Pure Imagination as well as the music in their closer as it is music that Phantom Regiment used in one of their shows (I'm blanking on which one).

While I am understanding the show a little better after your explanation, I'm not sure the audience is getting any of that at all... With Crown, you don't really have to look past their opener to know what their show is about. BD makes their theme quite obvious from their enormous storybooks and in your face fairy tale characters. The Cadets hit you in the head over and over again with the number 10 on their props, in their ballad, etc. The Bluecoats are a little iffy if you don't know their show title. Boston Crusaders make theirs pretty obvious, as does Phantom Regiment with their Eiffel Tower set in the opener (though theirs is a bit ambiguous too). My point is, most if not all these corps have made their theme very accessible. Vanguard... They call their show the Spark of Invention but all anyone is going to see are Tesla coils and think this show is about them.

Well going purely by title, i can see how this would be hard to conceptualize. But by that logic, e=mc^2 only had to do with the title in the preshow when they spelled it out. Hell, I haven't the slightest clue what 2013 crown was about overall. Love? Space? Energy? But I still loved it and would have had they named it anything else. Names can be slightly misleading. The show is about the experience and history of invention, loosely tied to the life experience of Tesla. Spark is more of a pun than anything else, they are referring to both the spark as in beginning and also spark as in electrical spark.

Honestly, I'm an EE Major, and I'm a vanguard homer. This show is like a dream come true to me, so forgive me if I come across antagonistic.

• Like 1

Well going purely by title, i can see how this would be hard to conceptualize. But by that logic, e=mc^2 only had to do with the title in the preshow when they spelled it out. Hell, I haven't the slightest clue what 2013 crown was about overall. Love? Space? Energy? But I still loved it and would have had they named it anything else. Names can be slightly misleading. The show is about the experience and history of invention, loosely tied to the life experience of Tesla. Spark is more of a pun than anything else, they are referring to both the spark as in beginning and also spark as in electrical spark.

Honestly, I'm an EE Major, and I'm a vanguard homer. This show is like a dream come true to me, so forgive me if I come across antagonistic.

Fair enough! Perhaps the show is a little out of my reach. I'm sure if a corps did a show about the intricacies of the brain/mind, I'd go crazy too (I'm a neuroscience major)

• Like 1

The problem is, it doesn't really fit with what is going on in the activity.

And you have to do what everyone else is doing to succeed?

• Like 2

SCV posted this on twitter after the La Crosse performance a few nights back:

https://twitter.com/scvanguard/status/619333393227116544

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but this suggests some changes to the show. Anyone in attendance or at any rehearsals have info? Did they change their ending?