SCV 2015

Now that we have an official announcement, what's everyone's thoughts on SCV's chances of medalling this year?

My personal take - based on their upward trajectory since 2011, their staff stability, success of the vanguard cadets, and what *based only on the announcement* looks to be a considerably more sophisticated show concept (relative to their previous 3 years) this appears to be their best chance in the last decade to make it back to medal stand. But as we all know it's no easy task given so many great corps and so little room for error at the top.

Being a meteorologist, I live in a probabilistic world...so what's my forecast given the current "data" I've seen? I give them a 50% chance of medalling.

I think they land in 4th again. I think BD is basically a lock for one of the medal spots and Cadets is shaping up to be a monster corps. I think Crown and SCV are going to be fighting for a medal.

• Like 1

Eventually SCV is going to break back into the medal spots, and this year is as good as any. I believe that we're going to get to the point that the top 5 or 6 corps are going to rotate in placements from one year to the next, and that's going to include the Blue Devils. All it's going to take is for SCV ( and Cavaliers) to get back to their previous levels.

Bluecoats are up and down in recent years. Cadets are up and down but have the ability to pop a win at any time if they're ticked off at something or to prove a point. Crown is up and down ( within the top echelon). Blue Devils has been mostly up the last decade. SCV has been down to middle of the pack of the top echelon of corps these last many years, but they're on the up swing; Cavaliers have been mostly "down" the last several years, but they're gaining a place every year and they have several decades of higher placements and history which should help the get back up there. Then there's Phantom, who has been at the top of the game a couple of times, but is currently down as of this past year. They could be a surprise to get into this top group too.

Other corps haven't won or are currently too far down in the placing to be considered to be put in the rotation.

Basically, I'm thinking that SCV is going to be a "Vanguard" this year with their almost self-referential "the Spark of Invention" show...

• Like 3

Some of these concepts are not that easily conveyed in a ten minute show on a field. They have a strong design team so I'm eager to see what they come up with.

I'm calling it now. Tesla coils for props. It needs to happen.

Hmm... Maybe I should build a tesla coil this summer...

Given Fiedler's propensities and history, will this be left over unused ideas from Cavies' Machine '06?

I won't tolerate that. If it's a spark of invention, I want ideas no man has ever come up with before. I want levitation, I want spontaneous combustion and I want them to march fast too. No

BD standing still for runs. Levitation for runs...ok.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2