SCV 2015

Hey, is SCV still marching ridiculously segmented drill at ridiculously small intervals? Are they, at one point in the show, doing something that looks like 128 counts of follow the leader in a huge arc?

Call me when they stop making ridiculous visual design choices and the visual book matches the visual instruction (which is awesome), guard (which is awesome), music book (which is awesome), percussion (which is awesome), and brass (which is awesome).

I've never seen a group so blind to the fact that they are ONE staff change away from jumping into the next tier.

I think it looks cool. Them and Cavies look really unique in terms of visual design. Still convinced you're like never happy lol

• Like 3

I think it looks cool. Them and Cavies look really unique in terms of visual design. Still convinced you're like never happy lol

It is unique, that's for sure. And this isn't a commentary on the technique, which CA and company are INCREDIBLE at teaching.

This really is a visual design issue. The guard likes it, because they get to spin in space. The horn guys like it because it is easier to blend an ensemble when they spend so much time almost shoulder to shoulder. The percussion people like it because of vertical timing in the ensemble.

The problem is, it doesn't really fit with what is going on in the activity. Why don't they get destroyed for having so much less integration than people in their neighborhood? Where is the reward for playing in difficult playing/timing environments? Where is consistent integration of the elements of the ensemble, simultaneously? Where are the cries that it looks dirty (because it does!) because intervals that small are hard to clean, regardless of how good CA is?

I really think they have everything in place to contend, minus this one, key figure.

• Like 1

This drill is pretty integrated relative to previous years, but the intervals are small. Also, the vanguard yell was in the 2014 production as well, right before the big trombone hit in the opener

• Like 1

It is unique, that's for sure. And this isn't a commentary on the technique, which CA and company are INCREDIBLE at teaching.

This really is a visual design issue. The guard likes it, because they get to spin in space. The horn guys like it because it is easier to blend an ensemble when they spend so much time almost shoulder to shoulder. The percussion people like it because of vertical timing in the ensemble.

The problem is, it doesn't really fit with what is going on in the activity. Why don't they get destroyed for having so much less integration than people in their neighborhood? Where is the reward for playing in difficult playing/timing environments? Where is consistent integration of the elements of the ensemble, simultaneously? Where are the cries that it looks dirty (because it does!) because intervals that small are hard to clean, regardless of how good CA is?

I really think they have everything in place to contend, minus this one, key figure.

I always say that SCV look dirty. I thought they looked pretty dirty at finals last year and the year before. The drill still looks cool though.

CA?

The vanguard yell has been planned before with 4 CT rests. Sounds in the last couple years it sounded like people just trying to throw it in somewhere. Listen back to 05-07 for some good Vanguard yells.

I agree, but i knew they started adding it again in 2011 since it wasn't present in ballet for martha or bartok.

It seemed very intentional for 2011's show. And 2012. 2013 seemed forced, and last year's didn't really stick throughout the season. I think i only ever heard it at a few fan network shows, Stanford and Colorado i think.

If its worked in, i like it. If its not, its fine. Getting too worked up about what specific things must be in a show in ordet to make fans or alumni happy is a slippery slope that limits creativity.

I agree, but i knew they started adding it again in 2011 since it wasn't present in ballet for martha or bartok.

It seemed very intentional for 2011's show. And 2012. 2013 seemed forced, and last year's didn't really stick throughout the season. I think i only ever heard it at a few fan network shows, Stanford and Colorado i think.

If its worked in, i like it. If its not, its fine. Getting too worked up about what specific things must be in a show in ordet to make fans or alumni happy is a slippery slope that limits creativity.

Much of the reason for the lack of Vanguard yells recently is new arrangers. Poulan and Casella were great at including the yell between 2004 and 2011. Shaw and the Rennicks, however, failed to continue the tradition.

EDIT: The Rennicks were with Poulan in 2011. Shaw joined the next year.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

Much of the reason for the lack of Vanguard yells recently is new arrangers. Poulan and Casella were great at including the yell between 2004 and 2011. Shaw and the Rennicks, however, failed to continue the tradition.

EDIT: The Rennicks were with Poulan in 2011. Shaw joined the next year.

Don't like Rennick and Shaw? I'd love for Phantom to have them back :P