SCV 2015

I miss '99 more than '98, but I thought the 2001-2003 shows were right in their "modern" wheelhouse as well. I know the '03 show suffered from degree of difficulty (company fronts alternating passages from the opposite end zones?!?), but I thought all of the music they used was brilliant.

Mike

• Like 1

Give me an SCV 1998 or 99 again, and my heart will burst. I miss THAT SCV.

'99 at finals that was a different corps than they had been all season. As the years go by '97 is the show I'm drawn to more and more, mostly because of that closer.

Now if they could only have cleaned 2001...that was a show worthy of winning but just too much to clean

It's too early to assume anything about a corps regardless of what has been seen/heard. There are still a lot of groups who have had camp and been missing some indoor kids, some not. Let's wait until late June, and then we can all start getting our knickers in a wad.

Predictions are just that. Judges are unbiased. They evaluate and rate. You never know who will prevail in a new season,

Judges are unbiased. They evaluate and rate. You never know who will prevail in a new season,

To me this is an idealistic statement of the way life SHOULD be.

DCP over the years has been filled with umpteen threads about competitive inertia, how the first month of contest results usually mimic the placements from last August's finals, how particular judges as individuals seem to prefer certain styles of guard work, drumming approaches, and even the colors of uniform. (What, a judge who disdains the color blue???)

As judges are human (thus far) and humans have faults and preferences, judges do not judge in a vacuum. To deny that is to deny the reality. To aim for the ideal is both laudatory and yet another matter.

Corps often tailor the performance to match the panel's preferences...hosing certain parts, turning angles certain ways, even alternative endings. This was more obvious when prelims meant a shorter show performance, but it is still true today in subtle ways.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Agreed in the beginning of the season, judges are probably more aware of what the previous season's placement was especially since they have to manage numbers but that changes quickly. Yes, judges, especially in the effect captions have their preferences.

I love how it's always the easy thing to do to move Cadets "down" even though they've been in the top 6 more than some other corps. To each his own. I personally think Cadets will not be moving down, but moving up instead. Although the Bluecoats had the show of the year last year, I think they will be the corps to move down if SCV will be moving up. Time will tell.

Always the easy thing? Really? If only they had known, maybe the last 10 or so predictors in the prediction thread wouldn't all have them moving UP.

Always the easy thing? Really? If only they had known, maybe the last 10 or so predictors in the prediction thread wouldn't all have them moving UP.

I'm speaking in general, not specific to this threat. It happens every year.