Passing of Dr. David Kampschroer

To Brad Furlano and all the Blue Stars family through these fifty years,

My prayers and consolations upon the death of Dave whom I have been fortunate to know since DCI started. As long as he was physically healthy we would get together for a discussion each championships; this year was not the same as his health forced him to stay down in Florida and not make Indy.

One of the special attributes Dave brought to drum corps and the Blue Stars was his standards of excellence and professionalism while remaining truly human and youth focused. As an educator and director, his contributions are countless when one considers all the corps camps, evaluations, and suggestions he shared with so many units as they sought to join DCI. Much of the standard practices which we now take for granted originated in the way he shared his talents and love of the Blue Stars.

If the end crowns the work (FCO), there is a great place of honor in the heavens for Dave. May your excellence continue as you honor his memory.

There will soon be a couple different tributes to Dr. K on another website. It is a tough loss for everyone who knew him. He was always generous with his time towards me...always referred to me as "The Boo-Meister." When I visited him at his home in Florida, he took me around the enormous retirement community of The Villages to show me all the ongoing activities that were available...continuous educational talks, various clubs, etc. I think he wanted to show that although he was retired from work, he was not at all retired from life. He continued to serve DCI as chair of the DCI Hall of Fame and seemed so vital through the last time I saw him. Condolences to all those he worked with, all those whose lives he touched, and all those he inspired. He is a part of DCI's history that cannot be replaced.

Gail Royer, Jim Jones, George Bonfiglio, Don Porter, Jerry Seawright, Glen Opie, Bob Lendman, and now Dave Kampschroer...so many of the DCI Hall of Fame corps directors from DCI's early years who helped make the activity so special...now with us in memories and living on in those countless individuals they inspired by their lives and their work.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

Mike,....you put into words so much better than I could. I have known David since I was a little snot nosed kid when he attended college in La Crosse and lived across the street from my family. He became involved with the corps and it was then that our lifetime friendship began.

He loved the Blue Stars, the kids, and the activity as a whole.

I will miss him dearly.

Edited by Appleknocker
  • Like 1

Dr. Kampschroer was the Thomas Jefferson of modern drum corps, an erudite, articulate humanist and Renaissance man who never lost sight of the big picture, even as he focused on the minute concerns of the individual participant.

Worldwide, all who are currently involved in drum corps or competitive band have felt his influence, whether they are aware of that or not.

• Like 3

Dr. Kampschroer was the Thomas Jefferson of modern drum corps, an erudite, articulate humanist and Renaissance man who never lost sight of the big picture, even as he focused on the minute concerns of the individual participant.

Worldwide, all who are currently involved in drum corps or competitive band have felt his influence, whether they are aware of that or not.

Edited by HornTeacher

Bob Lendman was my director when I marched Blue Stars, but I do know the history and importance of Dr. Kampschroer's contributions to the Blue Stars and DCI. I met him numerous times and the best words I come up with to describe him is a true gentleman and a class human being. FCO and rest in peace Dr. Dave

To the Blue Stars family: my deep condolences to all. May this great man's legacy live on in all that you do.