FCC Internet Regulation

And just so you know, you really think bureaucracies are not bought and paid for, just like at the FDA. Most of the top people in charge there are from Monsanto and pharmaceutical companies. You know, the ones that profit by poisoning us. 80% of the corn is now a pesticide. It's not even real food.

That is a whole other can of awful, awful worms. You're right that the "regulatory" agency of the US for food and drugs is run by the same corporations that produce/sell food and drugs. It's horrible

Edit for be snarky

unless DCI was paying your service provider extra, doubt it matter

some may find this bit in the NYT a good place to start, others not so much

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/business/dutch-offer-preview-of-net-neutrality.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

Any ISP does have a right to decide what comes through their bandwidth and into your home, and you also have a right to not give that company your money.

It's not like you have a Constitutional Right to have internet. If you did, then the Gov't would decide what comes through your connection, and then you would not have the choice to not give them your money - they would steal it, just like they decided you have a right to (forced) healthcare, and that you have to pay for it whether you like it or not, even if it means they punish you by stealing it from your paycheck.

If you want to talk about monopoly, look at D.C. They have a monopoly over everything and everyone. Get the bureaucracies out. A bunch of unelected people who arbitrarily make laws for the rest of us with no consequence to them.

And just so you know, you really think bureaucracies are not bought and paid for, just like at the FDA. Most of the top people in charge there are from Monsanto and pharmaceutical companies. You know, the ones that profit by poisoning us. 80% of the corn is now a pesticide. It's not even real food.

Something makes me think that this thread has the potential to drift beyond the topic of drum corps,

I did read cowtown's link to the New York Times description of this issue as it is found in the Netherlands. Through additional research, I discovered a completely different view from one of America's FCC Commisioners, Ajit Pai, as released today, via Bloomberg West. I assume Mr. Pai is one of the few people on the planet who has actually read our own proposal. Mr. Pai believes internet service in America will become more expensive. Obviously, it's too early for anyone to know for sure.

I am also interested in gaining any benefit of increased speed to the average household. Mr. Pai didn't address this. I am a cable internet subscriber. I don't think that will change any time soon in my neighborhood. So, although I do expect to pay more eventually, I'm not sure I'll experience much of a change in download speed.

By the way, I am also reading, this FCC proposal could be tied-up in the courts for several years. Perhaps, this is a concern whose questions CANNOT be answered at this time. Should this discussion continue, I think it can remain about enhancing/not enhancing the internet drum corps experience without making it a political battle. We have far too much of that already.

Can we keep this all technical?

• Like 2

I did read cowtown's link to the New York Times description of this issue as it is found in the Netherlands. Through additional research, I discovered a completely different view from one of America's FCC Commisioners, Ajit Pai, as released today, via Bloomberg West. I assume Mr. Pai is one of the few people on the planet who has actually read our own proposal. Mr. Pai believes internet service in America will become more expensive. Obviously, it's too early for anyone to know for sure.

I am also interested in gaining any benefit of increased speed to the average household. Mr. Pai didn't address this. I am a cable internet subscriber. I don't think that will change any time soon in my neighborhood. So, although I do expect to pay more eventually, I'm not sure I'll experience much of a change in download speed.

By the way, I am also reading, this FCC proposal could be tied-up in the courts for several years. Perhaps, this is a concern whose questions CANNOT be answered at this time. Should this discussion continue, I think it can remain about enhancing/not enhancing the internet drum corps experience without making it a political battle. We have far too much of that already.

Can we keep this all technical?

Actually, you have your answer as to how this may affect DCI.

Mr. Pai is a political appointment, his opinion on this is therefore political. I really doubt he has read it, more likely his staff abstracted it

And since the actual bill has yet to be released to the public this is merely a political topic based upon speculation because as always, the devil is in the details of the bill

My impressions we are not to discuss this sort of thing here, if I’m wrong, let me know and I’ll gladly indulge my political opinion and sources of information